• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Keel-billed Toucans in Playacar (2 Viewers)

Momrules3

Just thought it I would share this. I am staying in Playacar for the month and have had regular sitings of a flock of 8 toucans, close up and personal. They hang out on the golf course near hole 9 between two water holes. Lots of parrots as well, both blue fronted and Yucatan . If you are in the Playa Del Carmen area it is worth a look. The golf course is private and they will shoo you off but it is worth it to get within 20 ft of the toucans. 😊 many other colourful species and waterfowl. After 5 pm the golf course cops go home and you can walk the trails without hiding in the bushes. 😉

Hi,

I will be staying at the Riu Lupita in a couple of weeks time.

Is this area easily accessable from this hotel by foot?

Cheers

Steve

There's a concrete track ( for the golf-buggies ) that goes around the whole golf course. It goes right past the entrance of the Lupita . If you turn right as you come out of the hotel, it should take you to the pools mentioned above.There is a nice pool just outside the Lupita with least grebe etc. As said above, the golf course is private - I used sneak in at first light but be aware that the golfers also start very early too. I found them OK but did get gripped by the golf "police" one time . Dave Ousey did a good write-ups based on the Riu Tequila which you should be able to find by googling .
All the best, Bill.

Last edited:
Am currently in Mexico and no sign of Toucans despite quite a bit of searching. Can only presume they are seasonal and move to the larger areas of forest to breed. Unless anybody knows differently?

Had the Toucans at the Playacar golf course,,just outside the gate of the Riu Lupita hotel 2 weeks ago...
I too was removed from path of the course but the security guard "carted" me to the good bit which is just outside Riu Lupita security gate!!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back