• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Keang Krachan local guides and camping? (1 Viewer)

Dr_ADH

Hello
does anyone have a contact for the guides Mr. A or Mr. Biak? They've been recommended to us but we have no idea how to contact them?!
If not anyone recommend any good local guides for the park?

Re camping, we are wondering if we would be better trying to arrange to camp at the Bang Krang Campsite rather than stay outside the park, as we're really keen to give ourselves the best chance the seeing the owls. Has anyone had experience of this and knowledge you'd be happy to share?
thanks very much

Can't help you with guides, although I regularly bumped into one who was based at the well-known Baan Maka lodge. As far as White-fronted Scops is concerned, unless there is a known roost site, I think your best chance is to camp at Bang Krang, as it is within walking distance of several territories - including within the camp site. I've also seen Bay Owl on the edge of the camp site, and Brown Wood Owl behind the kitchen.

If you want a good local guide, you could try Samarn Khunkwamdee at http://www.samarnbirdcamp.com/smarnbirdcamp_eng.htm or here if you are on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100009974292567
The birdcamp is closer to the entrance than Baan Maka though BM is equally good and just got new owners.
Camping at Ban Krang Camp is great and does offer the opportunity to see owls and other nocturnal wildlife but bare in mind and don't under estimate the danger of Elephant.
White-fronted Scops hasn't been reliable for a while now. You can hear them from the camp, often close to the stream crossing for the youth camp. The second stream birds are probably still around but the roost site is unknown, and going there after dark is both forbidden and risky. Bay Owl can be heard from the camp near the beginning of the nature trail and can come close to the camp perimeter. As mentioned above, Wood Owl and Collared Scops often around camp too.
I shall be there in a couple of weeks, when are you intending to visit?

When you say Mr A, do you mean Guide A?

Last edited:
Hi
Would happily recommend Baan Maka as a place to stay. It is under new ownership and they can supply guides who are generally very good. They can also take you to local hides just out of Keang Krachen.
Tony

thanks for your messages, that's really helpful.
Rockfowl we are in Thailand from 9-28 feb, and at KK at the very end for 3 days. When are you there?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back