• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Juvenile Finch? Malta now. (1 Viewer)

markm

England
In with a flock of gold finches. This was bigger.

Attachments

• IMG_20210909_180546.jpg
    IMG_20210909_180546.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 109
Hi - it's much much better if you can post the photo rather than a photo of the photo on a screen?
I guess maybe common rosefinch, but on Malta it might be as as likely to be something out of a cage?

Sorry about the quality of the photo. I'm actually on Ghadira nature reserve at the moment.

I think the bird is in a very bad condition, for example having lost a lot of feathers at thebase of the bill and close to the eye, so the impression of a large bill may be deceiving;

if so I would think of something like canary or linnet?

Had a chat with the young lady volunteering at the reserve and they have released a " load" of illegally trapped finches in the last couple of days. Mostly gold ,green and serins. She thinks they were trapped in Sicily but recovered on Gozo. Nice reserve . Only our first full day on Malta but little evidence of hunting. Just a few distant guns. Very different from 10 years ago!
Thanks for the IDs.

the ground color looks too reddish brown. but the photo is too reddish brown anyway (see green plant parts)
- so yes -it could be indeed well be a serin:

however - I can´fully exclude an exotic or a domestic canary... (and a serin wouldn´t be any larger than goldfinches...)
Hopefully he updates the photo when he gets home.

I've survived Malta ! more shooting audible later in holiday.
So here is the cropped photo , although as I said it's probable a released/trapped bird .
Also is the raptor a juvenile honey buzzard?

Attachments

• IMG_6753 (3).JPG
    IMG_6753 (3).JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_6639 (2).JPG
    IMG_6639 (2).JPG
    250.3 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_6629 (2).JPG
    IMG_6629 (2).JPG
    334.6 KB · Views: 65
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back