• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Just moved to Delhi (1 Viewer)

Yeah well, when you're freezing your nuts off in January think of me with a long iced one by the pool ��

The thing I found most off putting in Delhi 20 odd years ago, were the groups of youg men who would just plant themselves in a semi circle, arms folded and brazenly stand, just staring at you.

I was followed a round Delhi Zoo by groups of young men and it got really tiresome, they have in fact seen plenty of Europeans so why do they do it? When I got a bit sick of it as I sat on a bench at the train station, I stood up, very quickly and threw my army bag off, they scattered thinking I was intent on GBH and one of them fell on to the railway track, forunately there was no train coming. Also of note that day was the bloke laid on the platform, shamelessly knocking one out under a blanket.

This is apart from the endless attempts to part you from your cash with scam after scam and corrupt police demanding fines for offences that don't exist but maybe Delhi has changed?

A

Last edited:
Tut...the things you read on BF! By the way Andy were the ladies so forthcoming? o:)

But seriously, there must be some great birding in the Dehli area:

Last edited:
Tut...the things you read on BF! By the way Andy were the ladies so forthcoming? o:)

But seriously, there must be some great birding in the Dehli area:

There is some decent birding to be had in Delhi, most newcomers will visist Delhi Zoo where some nice wild birds can be seen and it's not far up in to the mountains for places like Nainital.

Ladies Simon, when you've seen them lift their garments to squat and pee wherever they may be, even on a crowded bus station platform, romace is off the menu and they do it all the time!

A

Last edited:
Great - I assume there must be at least a small birding club/assoc.

Nature takes its course, and we can count our lucky stars that loos are almost everywhere we go. To be honest, lots of British do the same on a romantic night out after a big bevvy.....:-C

Great - I assume there must be at least a small birding club/assoc.

There is (or at least was) a Delhi e-mail group, though I don't remember the access details. There is (or again at least was) a fairly bird-productive stretch of river down near Noida.

Personally, I think Delhi is close to being one of the worst places on earth, just about beaten by Karachi, which truly is grim - think Delhi with worst squalor, worst weather (especially pre-monsoon) and with a significant safety risk.

There is (or at least was) a Delhi e-mail group, though I don't remember the access details. There is (or again at least was) a fairly bird-productive stretch of river down near Noida.

Personally, I think Delhi is close to being one of the worst places on earth, just about beaten by Karachi, which truly is grim - think Delhi with worst squalor, worst weather (especially pre-monsoon) and with a significant safety risk.

At least that - I was worried about the OP but I'm sure he has good reason to be there. I'd actually like a bit of time there, it would be an education - very unlikely for me though being a mainly sedentary specimen.

I'd actually like a bit of time there, it would be an education - very unlikely for me though being a mainly sedentary specimen.

If ever in India, I'd recommend a day or so at the end of the trip - if first time in India, I'd say it could be a bit heavy of the senses if it was your first port of call. For a final day or two, it isn't really that bad (my 'worst place on earth' comment was more at the thought of living there).

Not too far to Bharatpur (four hours by taxi?) - this can be a truly amazing birding locality, and relaxing

Is that the place for White-tailed Stonechat that I recall?

I think that joining the OBC forum (free) would be a good move, seems to be or at last was, plenty of input from India and Indians.

I agree, Delhi isn't the worst place but I hate Cities anyway.

A

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back