• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

just curious : re Nikon Fieldscope II ED60mm (1 Viewer)

Earnest lad

Sorry if it seems frivolous but please does anyone know approximately (a) what year this model was on sale new (b) what was it costing as a new scope?

Sorry if it seems frivolous but please does anyone know approximately (a) what year this model was on sale new (b) what was it costing as a new scope?
I got my EDIII which was very new then in 1999 or very early 2000. Not sure whether the ED II was still in production though. Don't remember prices, however.

I can't really help with your enquiry, but I remember seeing photographs of twitchers on the IoS in the "golden age" (think this was '86 - '92) and there were a few EDII present amongst the masses. I believe it was available from the early 90's to about 1996. As for price when new, nearly £800! Hopefully somebody can give you more accurate information.

How are you finding it?

An edited excerpt from the archives on this forum….

1981 Fieldscope

1989 Fieldscopes II / ED II

1992 Fieldscopes II A / ED II A

1994 Fieldscopes ED78 / ED78 A

1998 Fieldscopes III / III A / EDIII / EDIII A

2002 Fieldscopes ED III Black (Limited edition)

2003 Fieldscopes ED82/ED82-A

2005 ED50 Fieldscope

I found a couple of old price lists from the July 1991 issue of "British Birds". London Camera Exchange sold the angled Fieldscope EDII with 20-45x zoom for £549. Kay Optical's price for the same combination was £630.

A Christophers, Ltd.(US) price list from 1994 has the straight EDII body for $648.45, angled $689.69, 20x45x zoom eyepiece $184.54. 30X wide angle eyepiece 154.12.

An edited excerpt from the archives on this forum….

1981 Fieldscope

1989 Fieldscopes II / ED II

1992 Fieldscopes II A / ED II A

1994 Fieldscopes ED78 / ED78 A

1998 Fieldscopes III / III A / EDIII / EDIII A

2002 Fieldscopes ED III Black (Limited edition)

2003 Fieldscopes ED82/ED82-A

2005 ED50 Fieldscope
Thank you. I guess the ED II would be available from when it first came out until the EDIII was released. :)

I found a couple of old price lists from the July 1991 issue of "British Birds". London Camera Exchange sold the angled Fieldscope EDII with 20-45x zoom for £549. Kay Optical's price for the same combination was £630.

A Christophers, Ltd.(US) price list from 1994 has the straight EDII body for $648.45, angled $689.69, 20x45x zoom eyepiece $184.54. 30X wide angle eyepiece 154.12.
Thank you so much. That is v. helpful. Doing the math (& converting to GBP £) I think that comes to approx. 658 pounds. Using the following website to convert 1994 prices to 2021 prices the figure of £ 1,372.58 or $1878.38 is given
Obviously these were expensive items, although gather optics quality could be better these days.

I can't really help with your enquiry, but I remember seeing photographs of twitchers on the IoS in the "golden age" (think this was '86 - '92) and there were a few EDII present amongst the masses. I believe it was available from the early 90's to about 1996. As for price when new, nearly £800! Hopefully somebody can give you more accurate information.

How are you finding it?
I appreciate the lovely reminisce. The items were obviously high quality ones. The fact so many have survived is testimony to that I guess. I was hoping to try it out this weekend when I went birding, but partly due to the bad weather and other circumstances I didnt get round to using it. I have only tried it looking out from the house so far. First impressions are very good - very clear images. Unitl a few weeks ago I had never owned a scope). I will "report back" LOL after I have given it a good try out :)

Thank you so much. That is v. helpful. Doing the math (& converting to GBP £) I think that latter quote comes to approx. 658 pounds. Using the following website to convert 1994 prices to 2021 prices the estimated 2021 equivalent figure of would be £ 1,372.58 gbp or ($1878.38 us dollars)
Obviously these were expensive items, although I presume optics quality would be better these days than they were a few decades ago.

For most of its time as a current model, the straight Fieldscope II ED with eyepiece, could be had for ~$650 in the USA. I remember because I recommended that scope to a very large number of people back in the day.

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back