• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jonathan Dean's birding escapades in 2007 (1 Viewer)

aythya_hybrid

real name Jonathan Dean
Hello.

I recently started a surfbirds blog, but can't be bothered updating it so instead I'll just do it on here, which is easier to update anyway and probably reaches a wider audience.

I tend not to keep year lists, so this will simply be an update of what I have seen.

2007 got off to quite a good start, staying with my parents who live in Ceres in Fife.

1st Jan. Ruddons Point, Fife:
drake surf scoter showing well. Also at least 50 velvets, but not much else as it was very windy!

Kilconquhar Loch:
1 female Scaup, not much else.

Cameron Reservoir:
23 Whooper Swan, 1 female RB Merganser

St.Andrews, 3rd Jan.

North end of the West Sands on an incoming tide: 14 Pale-bellied Brent Goose, 1 Peregrine, c20 Long-tailed Duck, 3 Slavonian Grebe.

St.Andrews castle: c15 more Long-tailed Duck, 3 more Slav Grebe, c10 Rock Pipit, 2 Fulmar, 2 RT Diver, 1 Razorbill.

St.Andrews golf museum: c15 Long-tailed Duck, lots of Eider, a flock of 35-40 purple sandpiper flew in and settled on one of the last pieces of exposed rock at high tide.

Abernethy Glen
4th January

A quick walk with parents through countryside immediately south of Abernethy, in the vicinity of the fort. I saw: 1 Raven, 4 Buzzard, 3 Sparrowhawk, 1 Bullfinch, several Greylag Geese in flight, a few Goldcrests, Coal, Blue and Great Tit, 2 Redpoll overhead, loads of Redwing (200+) and smaller numbers of Fieldfare.

Birnie and Gaddon Loch, on the way back:
25 Siskin feeding in alders, 3 Bullfinch, 18 Goosander, c50 Wigeon, c20 Goldeneye.

Peterborough area
5th January

On the train back to London I saw (only with the naked eye) a flock of about ten swans in farmland about ten minutes south of Peterborough, which I am confident were Bewick’s Swans.

I am back in London now. Didn't have the opportunity to do any birding this weekend but am planning on going to Rainham tomorrow to try for the penduline tit and see if there is anything else around.

good day at Rainham

An excellent day at Rainham RSPB.

No sign of penduline tit in the morning but had a 2w Caspian Gull on Thames Foreshore just after lunch.

Good views of a peregrine on a pylon, plus it or another seen flying around. Also 1 Little Egret, 2 Pintail, a good mixed flock of winter thrushes, 4+ YL Gulls.

In the afternoon I tried again for the penduline, and this time got lucky as it had been relocated just before I showed up. Watched it at reasonably close range for about 25mins. Quality.

Ended the day scanning through a big gull flock on the target pools, which brought about a combination of excitement and a desire to shoot myself.

Things have quitened down somewhat since last monday!

Went to Wanstead Park thursday am in the hope of finding a Lesser Spot or two. Despite getting 12+ GSWs, the Lesser Spots were not forthcoming. Quite a few redwing, kingfisher and grey wagtail.

Rainham yesterday was absolutely duff. Made a slightly half-hearted bid to see the pendulines, but rapidly got bored, exacerbated by peoples' reluctance to give good directions!

Poppoed over to the Dartford area, but only managed 2 1w YL Gulls.

Quite an unexciting few days.

sunday - good views of bittern at London wetland centre. Also hybrid Ring-necked/Tufted Duck: quite a smart bird and worth a look! 2 Stonechat, bugger all else.

yesterday - a walk around Wanstead Park produced pretty much nothing.

today at Wivenhoe, Essex - 1 unseasonal Common Sandpiper, 7 Yellowhammer, 4 Bullfinch, Black-tailed Godwits, and a Little Egret on the River Colne near the university of Essex.

On the return route today - c20 Avocet, 13 Yellowhammer, 1 Sprawk, Green Sandpiper heard, 1 Rock Pipit.

Last edited:
visiting my parents again

Ceres, Fife:

4+ Tree Sparrows between Ceres and Craigrothie. Also:

several Yellowhammer, 2 GSW, 10 Bullfinch in Ceres, 2 Buzzard, 3 Sparrowhawk.

Still visiting my parents.

A reasonable day in Glen Isla, Angus. 20-25 Raven, c15 Buzzards, 14 Red Grouse (which I haven't seen for a long while), Siskin, Dipper, Treecreeper.

Loch of Lintrathen:
no sign of Smew reported yesterday, a few Goosander, 7 Whoopers

Highlight was a ringtail Hen Harrier which flew over the road just west of Kirton of Kingoldrum.

c35 Whoopers seen from the car at the western end of Kinnordy RSPB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back