• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

John Heinz Bird Sanctuary, Philadelphia (1 Viewer)

Evan Atkinson

Always finding a way to go off topic...
United Kingdom
Hey all, I'm going over to the USA a few days after Christmas to see my dad's girlfriend's parents, and whilst I was looking around for places to go, I came across John Heinz Bird Sacntuary. I've seen that there is a website which documents all of the birds seen there in a day, and some of them there are really exciting things for me to try and spot, such as the Belted Kingfisher and some of the woodpeckers and hawks that are there. Has anyone ever been here before? If you have been, how did it go? Cheers.

Ev

Hey all, I'm going over to the USA a few days after Christmas to see my dad's girlfriend's parents, and whilst I was looking around for places to go, I came across John Heinz Bird Sanctuary. I've seen that there is a website which documents all of the birds seen there in a day, and some of them there are really exciting things for me to try and spot, such as the Belted Kingfisher and some of the woodpeckers and hawks that are there. Has anyone ever been here before? If you have been, how did it go? Cheers.

Ev

I live about an hour from there. I don't go that often, but there's a great variety there at any one time. But bear in mind that it gets a lot of non-nature foot traffic; joggers, walkers, etc. It's also very close to the airport and the motorway, so it's not a quiet place.

But it's very well birded. You should check out eBird. You can get a better idea what's currently being seen.

Hey all, I'm going over to the USA a few days after Christmas to see my dad's girlfriend's parents, and whilst I was looking around for places to go, I came across John Heinz Bird Sacntuary. I've seen that there is a website which documents all of the birds seen there in a day, and some of them there are really exciting things for me to try and spot, such as the Belted Kingfisher and some of the woodpeckers and hawks that are there. Has anyone ever been here before? If you have been, how did it go? Cheers.

Ev
Thought the name ran a bell - turns out I've been there, see post #15 below

Ev
It's well worth going to. You can even get the train to Eastwick (Airport line) and walk to the entrance. Some good birds (inc. Bald Eagle) friendly Rangers and a few mammals.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back