• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

jay-jay 2007 list (1 Viewer)

jay-jay

I have taken on a second job to buy a DSLR and lens, i now have enough money for the camera(canon 400D) i will have to wait a while longer for the lens. But having very little spare time that coincides with daylight my 2007 list is very short with just one outing to date. During 2006 my list numbered 170 I would like my 2007 list to be 200.

Monday 8th January 10.30am-1.30pm
Dull and cloudy followed by heavy rain.
29 sightings

1 Black headed gull
2 Herring gull
3 Great black backed gull
4 Rook
5 Pheasant
6 Redwing
7 Crow
8 Woodpigeon
9 Jackdaw
10 Blue tit
11 Starling
12 Mallard
13 Blackbird
14 Goldfinch
15 Mute swan
16 Tufted duck
17 Coot
18 Greenfinch
19 Wren
20 Chaffinch
21 Great tit
22 Dunnock
23 Siskin
24 Bull finch
25 Coal tit
26 Goldcrest
27 Great spotted woodpecker
28 Moorhen
29 Kestrel

I went into Market Weighton and saw the jackdaws on the church and house chimney pots, I then drove to the lay-by near the household tip between Holme on Spalding Moor and Shiptonthorpe and managed to see the three gull types along with rooks and starlings. The next port of call was a public footpath along side a stream and small pond on the road towards the Cliffe woods nature reserve, mallard and tufted duck were in the pond across the road from the car. Coot were in the stream, mute swans were on a flooded field beyond the stream. On returning to the car a wren was hopping about in the brambles and a large flock of goldfinch with one greenfinch landed on the grass verge and road side until a car went past. Moving on to Cliffe woods of special note was a flock of chaffinch at least 10, a lone male bullfinch, several grey squirrels running along the ground and in the trees. A flock of 50 plus siskins were hanging upside down feeding on the alder trees. Rain now started to fall and crossing heather and gorse land little was to be seen, climbing a stile and re-entering the wood produce a pair of coal tits and the goldcrest. The final stretch to the car resulted in a great spotted woodpecker, the kestrel and moorhen were seen from the car on the drive back home.

I was going to go onto north cave reserve but the rain was now very heavy and I decided to call it a day.

11th Jan
views from bedroom window over garden and fields

30 House sparrow
31 Tree sparrow
32 Magpie
33 long tailed tit flock of 11
34 Mistle thrush
35 Collared Dove

driving home from the supermarket
36 Barn owl sitting on fence post

13th Jan North Cave Wetlands and Tophill Low Nr Driffield

37 Little Grebe
38 Pochard
39 Greylag
40 Teal
41 Great Crested Grebe
42 Lapwing
43 Robin
44 Cormorant
45 Fieldfare
46 Reed Bunting
47 Gadwall
48 Skylark
49 Canada goose
50 Redshank
51 Shelduck
52 Shoveler
53 Wigeon
54 Golden eye
55 Ruddy duck
56 Smew male
57 Barnacle goose
58 Heron
59 Pied Wagtail
60 Pintail
61 Peregrine Falcon
62 Curlew
63 Red-Legged Partridge
Bar-headed goose (listed but not numbered escapee?)

I have started a foundation degree in applied ornithology at Bishop Burton college this weekend. Yesterday we were in class discussing bird behaviour, today we went to blacktoft sands to observe bird behaviour. At the feeding station were the usual birds blue, great tit, chaffinch, moorhen, pheasant, tree sparrow and a willow tit. When we all got together we walked to ousefleet hide as we were doing this the heavens opened and it started to rain and hailstone, it was also very cold. Once in the hide I couldn't see a thing my bins were all steamed up!, once they had cleared I could see a large flock of lapwing and golden plover along with dunlin. The lapwing and plover remained stationary braveing the weather the dunlin were more mobile moving from one spot to another. A Knot was among the dunlin, a few black tailed godwits were feeding along with shelducks. We moved on to the next hides down towards the visitors centre, here we saw golden eye, little grebe, coot, tufted duck, marsh harrier moving on down to the hides pass the visitors center a single whooper swan came and sat on the bank in front of us and started to preen. A merlin flew past us fast and low along the grass bank in front of the hide. Little grebe, a pair of mute swans and wigeon were on the water a pair of stonechats were on the reeds along the edge of the ditch infront of singleton hide. My list now stands at 72.

64 Marsh Harrier
65 Willow Tit
66 Golden Plover
67 Dunlin
68 Whooper swan
69 Knot
70 Merlin
71 Black tailed godwit
72 Stonechat

My year list

Following a visit to Filey and Flamborough See my "your birding day" thread my list now stands at 80

73.Great northern diver
74. Turnstone
75. Eider Duck
76. Oystercatcher
77. Common Gull
78.Short-eared Owl
79. Rock Dove
80. Rock Pipit

Just updating my list, I forgot to add gannet from my visit to Flamborough, the rest have been seen in the garden and visits to Blacktoft Sands and Far ings.

81. Gannet
82. Sparrowhawk
83. Kingfisher
84. Bearded Tit
85. Ringed Plover
86. Yellowhammer

Following visits to North Cave, Potteric Carr, Far ings and Parkgate I have finaly got round to updating my list.

87 Buzzard
88 Green woodpecker
89 Green sandpiper
90 Treecreeper
91 Bittern
92 Hen Harrier
93 Little Egret
94 Stock Dove
95 Little Owl
96 Water Rail
97 Jack snipe
98 Water pipit
99 Pink- foot Goose
100 Black-headed gull
101 Barn Owl
102 Snipe
103 Thrush Song

105 Siskin

feeding on peanut feeder in the garden.

sorry counted twice no. 23

Last edited:
109 Long-eared Owl
110 American wigeon

The owl was seen at Fairburn nature reserve and the american wigeon on flood water at the bridge in Bubwith Nr Selby.

Last edited:
A visit to norfolk increased my tally. I heard the cettis warbler at titchwell but didn't see it.

111 Meadow pipit
112 Jay
113 Ruff
114Brent Goose
115Eygptian Goose
116 Bar Tailed godwit
117 Sanderling
118 Grey Plover
119 Partridge Grey
120 Pigeon Ferral
121 Mediterranean gull
122 Little Gull