• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Japanese pelagic trips (1 Viewer)

Taiga Woods

Hi
I hope to visit Japan sometime next year (Feb/Mar time 2008) with some friends for a birding trip. I understand that Short-tailed Albatross is breeding at this time of year and we would really like to be able to see this magnificent species. Does anyone have any information as to how this would be possible for a group of English birders?
Thanks

Taiga Woods said:
Hi
I hope to visit Japan sometime next year (Feb/Mar time 2008) with some friends for a birding trip. I understand that Short-tailed Albatross is breeding at this time of year and we would really like to be able to see this magnificent species. Does anyone have any information as to how this would be possible for a group of English birders?
Thanks

If you haven't done so already you should ask this question at kantori, an expat birders site in Japan. Apologies if you have but here's the link anyway.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kantori

My understanding is that the commercial ferry that goes past the island where they breed (Torishima) on the way to the Bonin Islands has changed. Maybe it's faster (so goes past the island at night) or the route may be slightly different. There used to be a slow cargo service boat but I've head that's stopped/changed too. Someone at kantori will know.

On the plus side I believe there are specific birding trips to see this species though they may be a tad pricey. But with the strength of sterling against the yen that might not be such a big problem for you. Again, kantori would be the place to ask.

Taiga Woods said:
Hi

Thanks

1. Birdquest/Pete Morris did a pelagic I think as an add on to their 2006 Japan tour and scored with 10+ birds. But how it was organised may be a trade secret...I have not heard.

2. Should you receive a largeish legacy from a maiden aunt, there is also the bi-annual round trip described here..

http://www.club300.se/Files/TravelReports/Japan0603-BA.pdf

3. S-t A is seen now and again from the Honshu-Hokkaido commercial ferries, but tends to be in April-June time I think.

Short-tailed Albatross is my number two most wanted world bird and I have clocked up a fair bit of time looking for them in these waters, so please do let me know if you find any other
possibilities!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back