• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Japanese Grosbeak (my first twitch) (1 Viewer)

brd

I was (fortunately) birding around Yeliu (where the last week has turned up Pale Thrush, White's Ground Thrush, Grey-backed Thrush, and Eye-browed Thrush, as well as lots of Daurian Redstarts) when we got word of a Chinese Grosbeak in the nearby town of Jinshan. My birding compatriot, who had seen Chinese Grosbeaks in Matsu last year, wasn't sure about making the trip, but soon thereafter we got a call from some other birders telling us that it was actually a Japanese Grosbeak.
When we got there the bird seem to have flown, but about 25 birders hung around, and sure enough about 45 minutes later it reappeared eating the fruits off a maple. My first twitch! Great bird. Some folks knowledgeable on the topic said it had been 5 years since one had been seen in Taiwan.

Attachments

• Japanese Grosbeak (1 of 1).jpg
    Japanese Grosbeak (1 of 1).jpg
    429.4 KB · Views: 136
Some photo of the Japanese Grosbeak

It has been 5 years since the last one appeared in Taiwan.

Quite a sensation !

Attachments

• 1dx17221500.jpg
    1dx17221500.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 102
  • 1dx27251500.jpg
    1dx27251500.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 117
  • 1dx353115001.jpg
    1dx353115001.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 110
  • 1dx424415001.jpg
    1dx424415001.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 110
Congratulations! I'm fortunate to have Japanese Grosbeaks visit the valley I live in every two or three winters, but have never got anywhere near getting shots like these.

Cheers
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back