• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Japan - Hokkaido - Accentor sites? (2 Viewers)

Kenbell

Can anyone help with some sites to find the Japanese Accentor in winter?
I am trying to get time off for a holiday in Sapporo / Kushiro in February....I can't seem to find reference to it in the birding trip reports.
Any other tips on endemics would be welcome as well!

Many thanks in advance!

Ken

Kenbell said:
Can anyone help with some sites to find the Japanese Accentor in winter?
I am trying to get time off for a holiday in Sapporo / Kushiro in February....I can't seem to find reference to it in the birding trip reports.
Any other tips on endemics would be welcome as well!

Many thanks in advance!

Ken

There are some J accentor reports from e.g. Karuizawa November 2006 on the kantori Japanese birding forum. Whether it is gettable on Hokkaido in mid-winter I don't know- visitors up there tend to have their sights set on larger beasts! Drop me a PM if you need a link to the kantori site.

Ed K

I've seen them on Mt Yotei (Niseko) and Mt Rishiri (on Rishiri island) in summer/autumn.

I don't know if or how many are resident (or not). Some pass through southern Hokkaido in autumn.

Try asking on kantori (if you haven't done so already).

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kantori

Thanks, gents....I've just subscribed to Kantori.

I was just hoping to add the Accentor to the Woodpeckers, Eagles and the Auklets ;)

Cheers,
Ken

Kenbell said:
Thanks, gents....I've just subscribed to Kantori.

I was just hoping to add the Accentor to the Woodpeckers, Eagles and the Auklets ;)

Cheers,
Ken

Hi Ken

any interest in Blakiston's Fish Owl? I saw it at Lake Furen near Kushiro in October 2005, plus numerous other goodies. If so please drop me a PM and I can forward you my report. Strngly recommend taking the ferry frm Toky to Hokkaido if you have time - the seabirds are excellent.

Nice to see another hK birder on BF

Cheers
Mike

Hi Mike.

I certainly am! I have already read your report, (and the ones on Ng Tung Chai, both here and on HKBWS, where I haven`t birded yet with my father), along with others, and will try to persuade my girlfriend that a Hokkaido holiday trip is about birding at a bridge in the evening! I have also read that Rausu is good for the owl too, but as I will be staying in Kushiro from tonight, I think that it will be too far to drive to.

It looks like that I will have to try for the Accentor on a future trip one summer.
Cheers,

Ken

any interest in Blakiston's Fish Owl? I saw it at Lake Furen near Kushiro in October 2005, plus numerous other goodies. If so please drop me a PM and I can forward you my report. Strngly recommend taking the ferry frm Toky to Hokkaido if you have time - the seabirds are excellent.

Nice to see another hK birder on BF

Cheers
Mike[/QUOTE]

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back