• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Izumi, Japan December 2022 (1 Viewer)

rowebird87

I've identified most of the birds seen in Izumi in the reclamation fields back in December 2022. I'm having trouble with these final two. I'm thinking pale thrush and maybe some type of sparrow?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-09 at 10.42.29 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-09 at 10.42.29 AM.png
    797.8 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot 2023-10-09 at 10.39.52 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-09 at 10.39.52 AM.png
    885.4 KB · Views: 48
Think the bunting looks better for a female Masked Bunting e.g. elongated bill, yellowish tones.
As in the split from Black-faced?

I noticed this on the IOC just today and was going to ask what's happened to the birds on the British list. Were they assigned to species or are they now just 'sp'?

As in the split from Black-faced?

I noticed this on the IOC just today and was going to ask what's happened to the birds on the British list. Were they assigned to species or are they now just 'sp'?
Andy, all the UK records accepted thus far have been assigned as nominate spodocephala and, likely all the WP records which, is hardly surprising. There is no evidence that Masked is anything more than, at best, a very short distance migrant so an extremely unlikely candidate for western vagrancy IMHO.

The situation with the 'Lesser Short-toed' Lark complex split, for example, is entirely different.

Grahame

Users who are viewing this thread

Back