• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Its a cabbie's thing (1 Viewer)

I won't keep a list this year but I will post if I've seen anything of note whilst I'm actually in the cab working. Therefore I won't restrict myself to the six mile radius of Charing Cross but I won't post sightings on days when I'm not working.

And don't forget that Nightingale singing in Berkeley Square on 1 April......

David

We'll at least the weathers brightened up lately!

After nearly two months of seemingly perpetual rainfall March has livened the spirit, however my idea of only noting birds seen from the cab whilst working doesn't appear to have been my most productive in terms of great sightings. The fact is there just isn't a great deal of interesting bird life in the streets of central London. Either that or I'm just not a very good birder. Probably the latter. I know the mantra is eyes to the sky buts that's a little precarious in my job.

The Peregrine is often seen on its perch at Paddington. The odd Mistle Thrush in a field is spotted sometimes. I see a few Egyptian Geese whilst driving through Hyde Park. For any overseas birders or anyone else interested I'll list the dozen or so most common birds seen whilst driving my cab around London;

Feral Pigeon
Woodpigeon
Carrion Crow
Magpie
Black Headed Gull
Lesser Black backed Gull
Herring Gull
Ring necked Parakeet
Eurasian Starling
Eurasian Blackbird
Robin
Great Tit
Blue Tit
Great Cormorant
Mallard
Coot
Moorhen

The last four only close to the river Thames and the park lakes.

Anyway now Spring is well on the way I will keep 'em peeled for anything new popping up and you never know someone might want a cab ride out to the chilterns so I could get a Red Kite. I live in hope.

Last edited:
Just had a job to Terminal 5 Heathrow and after dropping off my passenger I managed to sight a Red Kite!

It was floating around over the the bit of scrub and woodland between the airport and the M25. Always wanted to see a Red Kite whilst out working in the cab so that's made my day. Had a female Sparrowhawk go over the M4 on the way back in too as a bonus.

Saw an old man with a live Sulphur Crested Cockatoo on his shoulder a few days ago walking down St Johns Wood road. I'm having that for my London list!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back