• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

is this a tawny pipit ??? (1 Viewer)

lusomosa

Hi guys I saw this bird in oukaimeden (Atlas).
It appeared a few times from behind some rocks. ( I am not even sure the pics are from the same bird ) and it went away.
I could only get this pics...
Thanks for looking at them.

LP

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 153
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 152
Tawny Pipits always strike me as being more 'Wagtail'-like in their proportions and obviously have a sandy-tawny plumage and juveniles apart generally show very cryptic covert markings at most ages.

As an aside - there is an old Black and White British film made as a bit of a flag-waver during the Second World War. It is filmed in the English Cotswolds and concerns the breeding of a pair of Tawny Pipits and the shenanigans surrounding its discovery, breeding and protection. There are subplots etc.

The actual birds were Meadow Pipits and were filmed by Eric Hosking. It's worth a watch for the location filming etc. It does'nt appear to be available on YouTube but there are plenty of clips of the real thing for your perusal:t:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tawny_Pipit_(film)

Laurie:t:

Below - an Autumn bird from the Isles of Scilly.

Attachments

• Tawny Pipit.jpg
    Tawny Pipit.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 75
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back