• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

is this a good box? (1 Viewer)

Ryan166

i made a nestbox (for a white-breasted nuthatch) and i used rough cedar. the cedar is only rough on one side, and the other side is smooth. I put the smooth side on the inside because nuthatches like rough looking houses. will the babies be able to climb out to fledge if the inside is smooth, or will the nuthatch choose this house because its smooth? also how high do i have to put the house so sparrows won't go there. (nuthatches will go up to 25 feet) thanx for any help.

Hi Ryan, and welcome to the forum. Sorry I can't help with your question - I only know about bird boxes in the UK, but I reckon you'll get some helpful answers soon.

Hello Ryan,

I'm not up to speed on particular birds...

but I just read recently on "bird house construction" and
they mentioned that you could staple hardware cloth on
the inside to allow the birds to climb out.

I think the the hardware cloth they meant was the wire
mesh type that measures about 1/4" square.

goldfinch said:
Hello Ryan,

I'm not up to speed on particular birds...

but I just read recently on "bird house construction" and
they mentioned that you could staple hardware cloth on
the inside to allow the birds to climb out.

I think the the hardware cloth they meant was the wire
mesh type that measures about 1/4" square.
oo, i see, i would hate to have the baby birds trapped in there.

Ryan166 said:
i made a nestbox (for a white-breasted nuthatch) and i used rough cedar. the cedar is only rough on one side, and the other side is smooth. I put the smooth side on the inside because nuthatches like rough looking houses. will the babies be able to climb out to fledge if the inside is smooth, or will the nuthatch choose this house because its smooth? also how high do i have to put the house so sparrows won't go there. (nuthatches will go up to 25 feet) thanx for any help.

Ryan - I'm not sure how nuthatch chicks behave, but bluetits have no problem in getting out of the box, because they fly up to the hole. They practise their wing flapping for quite a while before they actually leave, sometimes flying up to look out of the hole. I should think nuthatches would do the same - after all they have to be able to fly as they leave home, so surely they must practise (within the limitations of the box) before their big day.

Elizabeth Bigg said:
Ryan - I'm not sure how nuthatch chicks behave, but bluetits have no problem in getting out of the box, because they fly up to the hole. They practise their wing flapping for quite a while before they actually leave, sometimes flying up to look out of the hole. I should think nuthatches would do the same - after all they have to be able to fly as they leave home, so surely they must practise (within the limitations of the box) before their big day.
You are right Elizabeth, but if we maximise the birds' chances of escape, we maximise the yield on birds. By this I'm talking about the 'runt' of the clutch.
If the side of the box were rough, the runt could escape at the same time as the others, whereas in most cases it gets left behind and consequently dies.
By allowing the runt to leave the nest, we minimise the chances of a healthy youngster being taken by a predator. Cruel maybe, but true. In certain cases, the runt can mature in to an adult if only given a chance to survive the first few days.
This advice only comes from seeing hundreds and hundreds of Tit boxes, since my dad was a ringer for around twenty years and I used to help him.
Some folks will tell you that there is only one runt in a clutch, but there are usually two types (three if you like); unhatched eggs, young that die in the first day or two, and those who live to fledging age (1J) but are smaller (less developed) than the others.
The piece of cloth theory sounds eminently sensible and on a final note, don't put up a box if there are cats around, you may be doing more harm than good.

When I build nest boxes, I usually use a chisel to score across the front wall on the inside. I don't know whether it is really necessary but it's something that I've always done. I don't trust the idea of using hardware cloth in case that a bird might catch a toe in it. I used to raise cage birds and have seen toes caught in cages etc. on several occasions.

snowyowl said:
When I build nest boxes, I usually use a chisel to score across the front wall on the inside. I don't know whether it is really necessary but it's something that I've always done. I don't trust the idea of using hardware cloth in case that a bird might catch a toe in it. I used to raise cage birds and have seen toes caught in cages etc. on several occasions.

It really is not necessary snowyowl, last year was the first time I had put a nest box up and I saw 9 young bluetits fledge threw the camera I had installed. As Elizabeth said...they fly up to the hole without any problem what so ever.

I could not believe my eyes when I went outside to watch the chicks leave the box....they flew up to the hole and looked out for a short time before launching themselfs from the box....they flew out that box and up to the trees so effortlessly.

thebirdcam said:
It really is not necessary snowyowl, last year was the first time I had put a nest box up and I saw 9 young bluetits fledge threw the camera I had installed. As Elizabeth said...they fly up to the hole without any problem what so ever.

I could not believe my eyes when I went outside to watch the chicks leave the box....they flew up to the hole and looked out for a short time before launching themselfs from the box....they flew out that box and up to the trees so effortlessly.
I know nothing about Bluetits but the reason I chisel is not just to allow fledging. I don't think that leaving the nest is the only time that young birds go to the box opening but also because many young birds seem to climb up to the hole just to look out and to be fed. I certainly can't prove that I'm right and you are probably right that the scoring isn't necessary but since it costs nothing I think I'll continue to do it.

Just bought a "Rolls Royce" bird box made in oak. It should last for practically ever! Its one of the nicest designs I've ever seen as it comes flat-pack and need no nails or screws whatsover except for mounting on a wall or tree. I got it on the web from rocboxes. They have a great selection and even make bat boxes and insect boxes too. I am most impressed. I've just joined Birdforum.net - Hello everyone - I have to say that I am "gobsmacked" at how complex the whole web page is and am still feeling my way about it so if I make some foolish mistake you'll have to forgive me.

Hi ecotwin, and welcome to the forum. I've had a quick look at that website - the boxes certainly look very good and sturdy - good luck with it. We have birds interested in both our boxes, and they've been used regularly for years now, so we are fairly hopeful.

You'll find the folks here very friendly and helpful - so if you get lost - just ask. It took me a while to find my way around, but I'm happily settled in now!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back