• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this a Bud Moth? (1 Viewer)

InternetMan

Came to actinic in central Sussex coast last night. If I'd remembered I could have photographed it face-on, but alas this is all I have. Anyone feel confident?

IMG_6767.jpegIMG_6803.jpeg

Thanks for looking!

I can say that we don't have too many larch trees in the area, which tends to suggest ocellana is more likely, but I do struggle with some of these birdpoo tortrices and can't be entirely confident I've got it to genus.

My first thought was Pammene fasciana.
See when I put that into Google images I get a million images that are the very spitting image of my moth. And yet the guide book image, showing a fresh specimen I guess, looks no more like mine than any number of grey-and-white tortrix moths. These things will be the death of me.

Thanks so much for the tip, greatly appreciated.

See when I put that into Google images I get a million images that are the very spitting image of my moth. And yet the guide book image, showing a fresh specimen I guess, looks no more like mine than any number of grey-and-white tortrix moths. These things will be the death of me.

Thanks so much for the tip, greatly appreciated.
Hi. I've got an excellent guide book, Field Guide to the Micro Moths of Britain and Ireland, with superb illustrations by, Richard Lewington, and, if I would have looked more closely, I would /should have id'd it, because the illustration is as clear as day! My problem is, I don't look closely enough! 🧐 ☺

Users who are viewing this thread

Back