• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is there such a magical place... (1 Viewer)

RoyK

United States
...where you can look up a Zeiss binocular S/N and get a manufacture date? I find it mind-boggling that the ordinarily meticulous Germans (and I happen to be one) can't seem to provide this information. I've been Googling for hours and it's like trying to solve the DiVinci Code!

In my case it's an 8x30, S/N 587752. I also have a larger pair (I think) of Jena's kicking around somewhere. I am second-generation German and both binocs were in the family, who came in through Ellis Island in the 19-teens, so I'm guessing they are legit. They also made muliple trips back and forth to Germany over the decades, so the binocs may be much newer than the early days when they emigrated here (especially considering they didn't have a pot to piss in when they arrived as young adults/late teens).

Not that I would ever sell them, but are they worth anything? Just curious about the age.

-Roy
(new member)

Attachments

• binos bck.jpg
    binos bck.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 30
  • binos frt.jpg
    binos frt.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
...where you can look up a Zeiss binocular S/N and get a manufacture date? I find it mind-boggling that the ordinarily meticulous Germans (and I happen to be one) can't seem to provide this information. I've been Googling for hours and it's like trying to solve the DiVinci Code!

In my case it's an 8x30, S/N 587752. I also have a larger pair (I think) of Jena's kicking around somewhere. I am second-generation German and both binocs were in the family, who came in through Ellis Island in the 19-teens, so I'm guessing they are legit. They also made muliple trips back and forth to Germany over the decades, so the binocs may be much newer than the early days when they emigrated here (especially considering they didn't have a pot to piss in when they arrived as young adults/late teens).

Not that I would ever sell them, but are they worth anything? Just curious about the age.

-Roy
(new member)
Peter Abrahams site: http://www.europa.com/~telscope/binotele.htm used to have this information up to a certain point in time but the Europe domain is up for sale and I haven't located any other site.

Lee

Hi RoyK,
They appear to be post-WWII Zeiss model Deltrintem or Jenoptem. Both models enjoyed super-long production runs. You set would be worth about $100 to the right buyer.
~ Foss

The one in the photo is the Zeiss 8X30B made in Wetzlar (West Germany), now these were made from the late 50s I believe to the late 60s through the 70s. I would think these are early 60 s give or take a few. If in good shape about $300 or thereabouts.

Last edited:
Thank you all. Maybe I’ll keep them by the window in my 2nd floor bedroom instead of the vintage display case (secretary) downstairs in my living room. I already have a wonderful pair of Nikons downstairs in my kitchen cabinet for quick access to my yard from that level.

-Roy
(new member)
Zeiss confirm year of production was 1967.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back