• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

iPAQ hx4700 advice needed (1 Viewer)

Dave Smith

United Kingdom
I had for ages wanted to buy a PDA and the advent of the Collins eGuide tipped the balance and I bought an iPAQ 4700 around mid-October. Last week it suddenly had a screen that was messy and what appeared like an internal crack in the screen was in one corner. Nothing was visible when the power was off. I have always kept it in one of those cases with an aluminium protector plate. As I had purchased it over a month before I had to return it to HP rather then the supplier (superetrader). HP tell me the screen is cracked and this is not covered by the warranty and are asking £164 + tax for it to be repaired.

I am obviously very disappointed with this. What to do now?

I could invest in a new pda with a smaller (and less likely to break???) screen, and/or a different make for a similar cost to the repair.

I could pay up and have the same happen again in another month!!

I could simply cut my losses and not have a pda.

Are they really this fragile? Has anyone else managed to crack a screen while taking care of the device? Am I just unlucky, I'm not aware of being careless?

I would be pleased to hear any thoughts on this. Many thanks. :-C

Dave

Are they really this fragile? Has anyone else managed to crack a screen while taking care of the device? Am I just unlucky, I'm not aware of being careless?

I would be pleased to hear any thoughts on this. Many thanks. :-C

Dave[/QUOTE]

I've owned a three PDAs - currently on an hX3715. My previous NEC model suffered a damaged screen through being slightly squashed. Fortunately I had a PC Word extended warranty which covered the repair. Even better when the battery died a year later and wasn't replaceable PC World's coverplan gave me £300 worth of vouchers to buy a new PDA. considering the original model cost £200 I was well pleased! So I think you've been pretty unlucky.....

John F

John Fleet said:
I've owned a three PDAs - currently on an hX3715. My previous NEC model suffered a damaged screen through being slightly squashed. Fortunately I had a PC Word extended warranty which covered the repair. Even better when the battery died a year later and wasn't replaceable PC World's coverplan gave me £300 worth of vouchers to buy a new PDA. considering the original model cost £200 I was well pleased! So I think you've been pretty unlucky.....

John F

Thanks for your comment John. You say yours was slightly squashed and so presumably you were aware of possible damage. Nothing has happened to mine. I'm off to the Citizen's Advice Bureau in the morning. The phrase "not fit for the purpose that was intended" comes to mind. I have been reading on an iPAQ forum of people dropping them (hx4700s) and surviving because of the aluminium case. Mine must have been faulty.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back