• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

IOC taxonomy birding software (1 Viewer)

Markus Lagerqvist

Sweden
Hi,

Does anyone know what opions are out there when it come to bird lisitng software if you want to follow IOC?

I use BirdBase/BirdArea right now, but they only follow Clements.

Hi,

Does anyone know what opions are out there when it come to bird lisitng software if you want to follow IOC?

I use BirdBase/BirdArea right now, but they only follow Clements.

I don't believe any of the big fully-featured commercial programs use the IOC tax list. I know Birders Diary doesn't.

alancairns,

Thanks for that....I hadn't heard of that programme before.....but what a strange site! Superficially the pages are very attractively laid out, but it's very difficult to find links ( especially the one to subscribe) as the link text is almost identical in appearance to non-link text. Also I have totally failed to find any information about the origin of the programme...who produces it? what is their background/credentials? All very strange...do you have any more information?

John

The programme is written by Steven Furino, a professor of mathematics in an Ontario University (Waterloo?). He has posted on BF as SCFurino.

He is an amateur birder, and started publishing the programme in the early noughties. Initially it was free, but as it became more popular and a lot more involved he started charging a yearly fee, which entitles you o all the upgrades. The programme is now available for Windows too, and he has an associate who looks after Windows development. As far as I can see the Mac and Windows versions behave identically.

The programme is based on the 4D database engine. It is very powerful, allowing you to slice and dice your data in more ways than any other programme I have seen. (You can even do set arithmetic with it, answering questions like "What have I seen in 2007 but not in 2008?", "What have I seen in France and Germany but not in Italy?", and so forth.

On the down side, the programme is very obviously based on a database. There is little attempt to be user-friendly, and though not really difficult, it puts some people off.

It's well worth a demo download. I believe you get 30 days full use.

Alan

alancairns,

I have totally failed to find any information about the origin of the programme...who produces it? what is their background/credentials? All very strange...do you have any more information?

John

Bird listing software is where you can maintain a personal list of birds seen?

I maintain BirdPhotos.com based on IOC (now IOU, International Ornighologists's Union) database and Clement's subspecies database. You can generate lists by order and country and see maps, IUCN Red List and other information and photos.

See Search, Checklists and Endemics on this link

http://www.birdphotos.com/photos/in...arch.SearchScan&g2_form[useDefaultSettings]=1

The bird/country database is maybe 95% complete.

I would be happy to code a checklist program for individuals, if there really is a demand for that.. Maybe someone wants to contact me offline with ideas (or better yet, a specification). It would just be a database of bird/date/location/comments?

thanks,
[email protected]

I am using Wildlife Recorder and the current version supports IOC as well as a number of other taxonomies. You can find out more from the web site of Wildlife Computing LTD. Or PM me...

Mike

I would love for anyone to help test and give feedback to listing software on birdphotos.com based on IOC 2.5 with Clements subspecies. I plan to update to IOC 3.0 when released next year. After clicking the 'my birds' link on the left, everything should be self explanatory, Not all the bells and whistles are there, but it should be very usable, complete, and easy to use.
thank you,
tom

I use the Bubo Listing which has several listing options, including IOC. This is however for lifers only.

Me too. Its free, easy and very quick to compare with others who have their lists on there. If you only want to keep a simple life list then can't see anything to beat it. If you really want to know what you've seen in France and Germany but not Italy, then maybe you're keeping too many lists ;)

Me too. Its free, easy and very quick to compare with others who have their lists on there. If you only want to keep a simple life list then can't see anything to beat it. If you really want to know what you've seen in France and Germany but not Italy, then maybe you're keeping too many lists ;)

Or, you are preparing yourself for the situation when the next split happens and one daughter species is in one place and another in a different place.

Niels

Now here’s a (possibly not very practical) idea. Birders Diary allows users to create their own taxonomies, either from scratch or by modifying one of the provided tax lists. I’ve done both these things: I’ve made a North American mammal taxonomy de novo & I’ve created a new avian tax list by copying & modifying the supplied AOU tax list in various ways. So one possibility re the IOC taxonomy would be to buy BD with the Clements list and then to copy the latter & make whatever changes are necessary to align it with the IOC list. This would cost a little money (BD is not inexpensive) & would entail a certain amount of work--maybe a lot of work, I don’t know how extensive the differences between the 2 lists are--but BD is a very good program & one would end up with something really worth having. The conversion process should also be a lot of fun & would certainly be educational.

Everything perfectly legal AFAIK as long as it’s for personal use only.

And just a thought. . ..

I would love for anyone to help test and give feedback to listing software on birdphotos.com based on IOC 2.5 with Clements subspecies. I plan to update to IOC 3.0 when released next year. After clicking the 'my birds' link on the left, everything should be self explanatory, Not all the bells and whistles are there, but it should be very usable, complete, and easy to use.
thank you,
tom

Hi Tom
I've just had a look at your software and it seems okay. I'm going to start using it with the New Year so will keep you informed with how I get on.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back