• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Introducing Birdability! (1 Viewer)

Birdability

United States
Hi! We just wanted to introduce ourselves. Birdability is a brand new non-profit and focuses on removing barriers to access for birders with mobility challenges, blindness or low vision, intellectual or developmental disabilities (including autism), mental illness, being Deaf or Hard of Hearing and other health concerns. Based in the US, our work is relevant and applicable all over the world... because there are birders (and potential future birders!) with disabilities and other health concerns all over the world! If you'd like to learn more, our website is birdability.org, where you can find resources and sign up for our monthly newsletter; you can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter @Birdability. Because birding is for everybody and every body!

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)

We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

Hi and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Hi,

If you'd like to learn more, our website is birdability.org

I wonder ... have you checked that website against web accessibility standards?

Just asking because by my personal first impression, there are some unnecessary barriers on that page, for example putting the accessbility committment statement into a bitmap element. (You can't fail any more ironically than that.)

Recommended reading: https://www.w3.org/WAI/fundamentals/accessibility-intro/

Regards,

Henning

Hi,

I wonder ... have you checked that website against web accessibility standards?

Just asking because by my personal first impression, there are some unnecessary barriers on that page, for example putting the accessbility committment statement into a bitmap element. (You can't fail any more ironically than that.)

Recommended reading: https://www.w3.org/WAI/fundamentals/accessibility-intro/

Regards,

Henning
Hi Henning,
Thanks for your message. Web accessibility is really important to us! We currently have only one person on staff, who built the website without any training or background in web design. The content of the accessibility commitment graphic is included as text next to the graphic, and alt text is provided for the graphic too, so screen readers can access it. A few of our Birdability Captains who use screen readers have tested the website for us and told us it was perfectly accessible to them, but we are still very much learning, so any further guidance on how to ensure our website is accessible is appreciated! :)

Hi,

A few of our Birdability Captains who use screen readers have tested the website for us and told us it was perfectly accessible to them, but we are still very much learning, so any further guidance on how to ensure our website is accessible is appreciated! :)

That's great, I'm a big fan of continuous improvement too! :)

Maybe the best way to get into that would be to use web accessibility test tools like this one:

It points out potential problems graphically right on the page, which is really convenient, and you can just change the page, re-validate, and get instant feedback on the change in a matter of seconds.

The tool only makes checks based on formal criteria, so it might miss some points. Accordingly, it's good to be aware of some general rules for accessible design, too.

Probably a good point to start are these writing tips:

Armed with the general awareness of accessibility issues you already have, I guess you will probably be able to recognize the patterns of the suggested solutions fairly quickly! :)

Regards,

Henning

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back