• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Insectivorous Birds and Global Warming? (1 Viewer)

carjug

Are there any territorial, non-migratory insectivores? I am asking this because I went to a global warming meeting, and the group spent a lot of time talking about bugs. It seems like keeping track of birds who eat bugs would be a good idea, and I am sure someone is already doing it. Where could I find range maps on woodpeckers, for instance, or are there better options out there???? I am interested in boring local yokels because they have fewer complications than migrants like warblers.
Carjug

do your nuthatches and carolina wrens stick around all year?

Here around 38' 38" North latitude in the states, both White-Breasted Nuthatch and Carolina Wrens will stick around as long as there is open water. Both are omnivores, with much of their winter diet based on organics such as nuts, and residual berries. The Carolina will root about in brush piles and that sort of thing, where coming across dormant insects stands a good chance. Nuthatch likewise, will glean dormant winter insects just below tree bark. House Wrens on the other hand, will overwinter as far south as Argentina.

For native picidae (woodpeckers) to area, Downys, Hairys, Red-Bellied, Red-Headed, and Pileated, much the same can be said. It's only my opinion that open water plays a greater role in keeping those birds around than insects. Specialization in woodpeckers allows them to forage in manner to specific advantage also. Northern Flickers seem somewhat of mystery for myself, as I do not see many in the winter. Sapsuckers, like the Yellow-bellied are decidedly migratory and seen here exclusively through the winter.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back