• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Inner Marsh Farm - from the horse's mouth (1 Viewer)

I haven't been to IMF for about 6 years, I am trying to visualise what was the habitat before the new pools were made. I seem to remember looking across SE (I think) and seeing either a fishing pool or a sailing pool in the distance. Are they or is it still there.
Can't wait to visit the new place.
B :)John

Really enjoyed visiting the new reserve today, the hides were excellent. Only slight complaint was that i couldnt focus my scope through the glass which was odd.

However seeing my first ever GWE over the Marsh Covert Hide was great and 3 Curlew Sandpipers from the visitor centre were also good.

I visited the IMF hide but there were no birds on the near pool and the few Teal that briefly alighted there quickly moved off. This was possibly due to the presence of a large female Peregrine in the area. Whatever the cause it was strange to see the pool so quiet.

Love the new reserve but the glass has got to go! How that was allowed to be fitted in the first place is beyond belief!
I totally understand the reasoning behind the design of the centre but them particular glass units?... Really??
(maybe they are just in temporarily while the proper ones are being manufactured, if that's the case...great!)

Cheers.

Last edited:
I haven't been to IMF for about 6 years, I am trying to visualise what was the habitat before the new pools were made. I seem to remember looking across SE (I think) and seeing either a fishing pool or a sailing pool in the distance. Are they or is it still there.
Can't wait to visit the new place.
B :)John

From the IMF hide the fishing pool (Burton Mere - now the site for the new part of the reserve) and the Sailig Lake (Shotwick Lake) would both be visible. New reserve is defo worth a visit.

CB

Good to meet you again yesterday Rob. The glass does make it difficult at certain angles.

CB
In the case of the hide, open the windows ;) - for the reception building you don't have to look through the glass, just walk out to the viewing deck to the left-hand side to get excellent views of the main scrape :t:

In the case of the hide, open the windows ;) - for the reception building you don't have to look through the glass, just walk out to the viewing deck to the left-hand side to get excellent views of the main scrape :t:

Wasn't much to see from the hide, but seemed strange that the windows push down, so when it rains and you try and close them, the water comes back inside!!

As for the visitor centre, when its not raining then yes viewing is better, however the glass distorts any viewing that is not in straight ahead from the centre. Using a telescope makes it even worse!

CB

Wasn't much to see from the hide, but seemed strange that the windows push down, so when it rains and you try and close them, the water comes back inside!!

As for the visitor centre, when its not raining then yes viewing is better, however the glass distorts any viewing that is not in straight ahead from the centre. Using a telescope makes it even worse!

CB

For rainy days; in the hide the top windows open inwards and for viewing from the reception viewing deck, take waterproofs or an umbrella :t: Just think how cosy it will be with that stove going on cold winter days ;)

For rainy days; in the hide the top windows open inwards and for viewing from the reception viewing deck, take waterproofs or an umbrella :t: Just think how cosy it will be with that stove going on cold winter days ;)

Sorry but the glass units in the new visitors centre don't need defending they need changing!
Many of us have fantastic optics that are a joy to study birds through...at the moment you won't be able to do that from the comfort and warmth of the visitors centre!... Now I'm sure the Rspb didn't set out with this in mind and am sure they have the relevant knowledge and contacts to acquire a adequate replacement... I thought the glass used in the new Titchwell hide was very good... Probably a lot more expensive but considering it's function a necessary expense.
I hope enough people disapprove of the distortion in the current glass units, enough at least to force the Rspb to take note and change them!

Sorry but the glass units in the new visitors centre don't need defending they need changing!
Many of us have fantastic optics that are a joy to study birds through...at the moment you won't be able to do that from the comfort and warmth of the visitors centre!... Now I'm sure the Rspb didn't set out with this in mind and am sure they have the relevant knowledge and contacts to acquire a adequate replacement... I thought the glass used in the new Titchwell hide was very good... Probably a lot more expensive but considering it's function a necessary expense.
I hope enough people disapprove of the distortion in the current glass units, enough at least to force the Rspb to take note and change them!

Guys guys guys, the reception building is a great viewing facility having seen a dozen curlew sandpiper, little stint, dunlin, ruff, spoonbill, hen harrier (prob Northern Harrier), peregrine w/o any problem identiying them.

However, it is worth noting that the building is a multi-purpose one that has several other outside vantage points over the main scrape and with one in the making too.

The glass in the reception building obviously would always have its drawbacks (and critics) as it forms not only a fair amount of the insulation for the building (thus saves us money on heating) but also was a big part of the cost of the build.

As I have said the new part of the reserve is open but is by no means finished, keep coming back to see the reserve change and get better for everbody from all walks of life.

I have been nothing but honest with everyone on here (and other forums) and we appreciate your comments - keep them coming!

Guys guys guys, the reception building is a great viewing facility having seen a dozen curlew sandpiper, little stint, dunlin, ruff, spoonbill, hen harrier (prob Northern Harrier), peregrine w/o any problem identiying them.

Surely a Probable Northern Harrier should have been given more interest and reported so that people could go and confirm it either way, as it would be a very good record! (If it has been reported anywhere then I am sorry I've just not heard anything on any of the information services)

Surely a Probable Northern Harrier should have been given more interest and reported so that people could go and confirm it either way, as it would be a very good record! (If it has been reported anywhere then I am sorry I've just not heard anything on any of the information services)

Don't worry I wouldn't know a northern harrier if it flew into me, I'm just waiting for an arm chair tick!
Some local birders are working on it after variuos quiet mumblings ... some pictures do exist though. I'm think CB knows about it?

They are talking about the harrier that has been knocking about since August and it being very strongly marked in the face and clean underneath

Last edited:

Rob
what happened to a bit of thresh air mate. 8-P
Surely there are more important things to get wound up about affecting our birds...sounds a great place, enjoy it. Try coming to our place (upton warren ) leaking roof, no water on the main scrape etc etc;);)
john

Oh excitement at Burton Mere Wetlands ... construction of our new sand martin nesting bank has just begun :)

Fingers crossed for next spring

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back