• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Information about South Padre (1 Viewer)

uk2usa

I am thinking about taking a trip to South Padre sometime in February - partly as a scouting visit for a second trip in April. I live in Phoenix, so about 18 hours drive... my question is will there be much in terms of bird-life that I would not see in Arizona, or will I be spending time on the beach with my kids - note, either option is OK with me, I just want to be prepared.

Thanks for any advice.

My wife and I are heading to the LRGV in just a few days. EBird will give you an exact idea of what you can expect. If you haven't used it much, go to "Explore Data", then "Explore A Region", enter "Cameron" in the search box. I've been going to "Recent Visits" to see what has been reported on a daily basis. Today, for instance, a Ethan Goodman went there today and reported seeing 37 species of which 32 are waterbirds. Probably very different species than you'll see in Phoenix this time of year.
There are ways to glean valuable seasonal information from eBird as well. Your February visit might hold some slightly different birds than our trip in December.
I will be entering eBird reports myself over our holiday visit but only plan a single day at South Padre as there are numerous locations in the LRGV we'd like to visit.

Steve

Are you only birding Padre proper? If you bird other areas, like Harlingen or any where else in the valley, you will certainly get different birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back