• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Info on Isle Of Sheppey please (1 Viewer)

glosterjavelin

Dear All,

Am planning my first trip to the Isle Of Sheppey (Kent) this weekend, 4th Feb. Just wanted to ask if this is still a good time for a winter visit.

I read the excellent advice given to, I think, wolfbirder, in November. Have looked at basic geography of Sheppey - Harty, Capel etc. Just wanted to check what birds are likely to be around in Feb.

Many thanks.

I was there last Saturday. I spent some time at Elmley RSPB and then a couple of hours at the Raptor viewpoint on the Harty Ferry road.

It wasn't a particularly good day because the wind was quite strong. However, I did see a number of Marsh Harrier, 3 Hen Harrier including 1 male and a Barn Owl. I didn't see the RL Buzzard or any SE Owl although I know they are still around.

Plenty of wildfowl and a number of RB Merganser on the Swale.

robinm said:
I was there last Saturday. I spent some time at Elmley RSPB and then a couple of hours at the Raptor viewpoint on the Harty Ferry road.

It wasn't a particularly good day because the wind was quite strong. However, I did see a number of Marsh Harrier, 3 Hen Harrier including 1 male and a Barn Owl. I didn't see the RL Buzzard or any SE Owl although I know they are still around.

Plenty of wildfowl and a number of RB Merganser on the Swale.

Make sure you check the tides if you want to look at waders at Elmley in the hides overlooking the Swale.

The raptor watchpoint at Capel Fleet is excellent. Harriers are common and the Rough-legged Buzzard is occasionally present but views are distant.
Depending on the tide either Elmley or Shellness/Swale NNR is worth a visit. Snow Bunting or even Lapland Bunting and Twite could be present at the latter.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back