• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

In AND around Sunderland (1 Viewer)

I think what the top list shows us is what a superb & diverse area Sunderland is for local birders....
If you were to draw up a map of birding destination in NE England, Sunderland isnt a place that would often get a mention......

1st list are some of those "we've" had :smoke:

2nd list are the targets..... these need crossing off the "hit list" with extreme prejudice :eek!: ;)

Sorry Steve didnt read that carefully enough didnt realise the 2nd list was wanted birds but as you say the list of birds seen shows how good it can be.

I wonder if anyone knows the total number and species list that has been seen in Sunderland?
Certainly some cracking rarities over the years.

I wonder if anyone knows the total number and species list that has been seen in Sunderland?

i reckon thats a question the "Roker-One" will lap up when he's let out of the 'sin-bin' o:D

Certainly some cracking rarities over the years.

A Gull twitch at Roker is one thats sticks in my mind....
i remember seeing Med & Iceland Gull & then retreating to the warmth of the car, which we shared with one of the occupants who re-filled his flask, rather than leaving the warm car & trying to find a public convenience.... :-O
After a flask of Tomato Soup, we saw a mob of birders rush together, we were out of the car quicker than Bodie & Doyle to join them & see the Ross's Gull - a superb bird.

Who can forget the Ballions Crake in Mowbray Park 1989 !!Ii still remember the shoppers coming off what was then a busy Fawcett Street wondering why there were dozens of men and women with cameras,lenses etc crowded round the east edge of the water looking at a most obliging bird feet away !
http://www.robwilsonphotos.co.uk/baillons-crake-image-p-2556.html

Surreal birding experience !

Last edited:
Gay down the Meadas'

Martin informs me he had 1 Lapland Bunting fly over Trow Quarry this afternoon!:t:

Also couple of Little Owls at a few sites further north.

First thing checked Chester-le-Street where I had Scaup but no sign of the Mandarin. Then onto Chilton Moor but hardly any gulls at all. Rainton Meadows produced a few interesting birds including 1 Coues' Arctic Redpoll that I video'd, I will upload the link to the video later. Its the nice 1st winter male, quite an extensive white rump when seen well/close.

Checked Sunderland South Pier for the Iceland Gull, sadly no sign but good numbers of argentatus, one bird was the best specimen I have ever seen. Looked like a different species! Also plently of Great black-backed Gulls, Herring Gulls, Black-headed Gulls, and a handful of Common Gull. Also Turnstone and Cormorant on South Pier.

All in all, a good day!:t:

news from the SW corner of Sunderland

SMS news from the SW corner of Sunderland tells me:-

at least 2 Coues Arctic Redpolls & 20+ Mealy Redpoll at Rainton Meadows

small nos of waterfowl beginning to move around the area, with Shoveller, Gadwall, Tufted Duck & Goosander all moving onto open water today, although the main pool at RM's still remains 3/4 frozen.

Negative news on the Little Egret at the Cokeworks site today, although the Coaley Lane Waxwings have increased to 43 after a visit from the County Recorder no less.
The Waxies found initially by 'The Heron' who clocked them from the bus on his way back from the town

------------------------------------------------------------------------

A snippet i picked up the other day is of a Bittern seen in allotment gardens at / near Newcastle Road ( is this Monkwearmouth / Fulwell area ?) ...

Last edited:

The 1st winter bird was showing superbly well, however the other bird put in a very brief appearance. I am 99% sure it was the feeder bird, funny enough on the branch next to the feeder!

Got some video of the 1st winter OR "Tramline" as we have named it:-O Shouldn't really humanise birds I know, but I/we couldn't resist giving him a name.

The 1st winter bird was showing superbly well, however the other bird put in a very brief appearance. I am 99% sure it was the feeder bird, funny enough on the branch next to the feeder!

Got some video of the 1st winter OR "Tramline" as we have named it:-O Shouldn't really humanise birds I know, but I/we couldn't resist giving him a name.

i can think of a few choice names for them....

been looking at your latest Redpoll Blog post - very useful being able to see images of the 4 different Arctics all on 'one page'.

Who can forget the Ballions Crake in Mowbray Park 1989 !!Ii still remember the shoppers coming off what was then a busy Fawcett Street wondering why there were dozens of men and women with cameras,lenses etc crowded round the east edge of the water looking at a most obliging bird feet away !
http://www.robwilsonphotos.co.uk/baillons-crake-image-p-2556.html

Thanks for posting that link,nice to see a photo of that bird I did go and see it but I was only six at the time so dont remember much about it.

Steve, I've heard about that Ross's Gull that would be a great bird to see.
As you say I'm sure Martin will be able to list a few birds seen in Sunderland.

No prizes for guessing the Sunderland rarity that sticks in my mind;)

A snippet i picked up the other day is of a Bittern seen in allotment gardens at / near Newcastle Road ( is this Monkwearmouth / Fulwell area ?) ...

Thats interesting,not quite sure where that would be cant really think of any allotments on or near Newcastle road anyone else got any ideas?

Just remembered there are some allotments just to the north of where Newcastle road turns west to go towards the Greyhound stadium perhaps it could be there.

Last edited:
SMS news from the SW corner of Sunderland tells me:-

small nos of waterfowl beginning to move around the area, with Shoveller, Gadwall, Tufted Duck & Goosander all moving onto open water today, although the main pool at RM's still remains 3/4 frozen.

Negative news on the Little Egret at the Cokeworks site today, although the Coaley Lane Waxwings have increased to 43 after a visit from the County Recorder no less.
The Waxies found initially by 'The Heron' who clocked them from the bus on his way back from the town

if its the allotments beside fulwell mill there called 'high southwick'

Just remembered there are some allotments just to the north of where Newcastle road turns west to go towards the Greyhound stadium perhaps it could be there.

iv just read your reply, aye i bet it will be those allotments, theres ditches and bits of scrub land there.
its only a couple of fields south of boldon flats....
theres supposed to be tawny's around where the slaughter house was.

Backhouse Park

Had a walk round the park today. very noisy as the council ( I assume ) had contractors in removing damaged,old and dangerous trees ? Dont know enough about it but hope they havnt taken away good GSW habitat etc ( Stevie E can you help/comment ? ).

Having recently boasted that you always see a GSW in the park I didnt today !

Observed flock of about 12 Goldfinches,at least 20 Carrion Crows on the north side of the park near to St Aidans School.They were all searching and feeding amongst the wet grassland.Blue tits,chaffinches,blackbirds,wood pigeons and jackdaws.Very quiet though all in all,no sign of birds in the rookery on the south side of the park either.

Had a walk round the park today. very noisy as the council ( I assume ) had contractors in removing damaged,old and dangerous trees ? Dont know enough about it but hope they havnt taken away good GSW habitat etc ( Stevie E can you help/comment ? ).

Having recently boasted that you always see a GSW in the park I didnt today !

Observed flock of about 12 Goldfinches,at least 20 Carrion Crows on the north side of the park near to St Aidans School.They were all searching and feeding amongst the wet grassland.Blue tits,chaffinches,blackbirds,wood pigeons and jackdaws.Very quiet though all in all,no sign of birds in the rookery on the south side of the park either.

Hi Andy
The chainsaw topic never fails to get folk stirred up.

Having undertaken local authority arboricultural contract work i can appreciate both side of the coin -

i cant think of many situations where tree work on mature specimens is of benefit to birds......but our modern day obsession with health & safety results in (imho) a mass of often un-necessary work ( & expenditure).

Its a shame more over-aged trees cant be left to decline naturally - its during this stage that they are superb for woodpeckers...

Perhaps you could contact the Planning Dept / Tree Officer for reassurance -they may be able to explain the scope of the current operations.

Im not sure how closely the departments work together, but a call to the Countryside Team to explain that you are concerned about the loss of habitat for bird species such as Nuthatch & GSW - you may well be able to locate regular drumming posts and / or previous years nest trees & suggest that they are taken into account...?

( i recently called out to visit a site which was being partly cleared - contractors were good bunch & location still holds 7 Long-eareds ;-) )

Last edited:
iv just read your reply, aye i bet it will be those allotments, theres ditches and bits of scrub land there.
its only a couple of fields south of boldon flats....
theres supposed to be tawny's around where the slaughter house was.

There are allotments next to where the abbatior used to be.

Useful web pages:
Sunderland's wildlife: http://www.sunderland.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=769
Coutryside events (pdf) http://www.sunderland.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=767
Lots of countryside leaflets here http://www.sunderland.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=766

This map of cycle routes is quite useful as it shows the borough boundary and many of the open spaces: http://www.sunderland.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=6929&p=0

Thanks for that info & links - i have some of those on my web-log, but the countryside leaflets are a new one to me - wondered what that great looking wood down river from WWWT was called.
:t:

I was reading some Sunderland Council document which in a nutshell (& i paraphrase) suggested "it would be best to do away with allotments as they dont fit in, or paint the City in its best light" - and i thought i had elitist views !
These allotments are a haven for many small breeding birds & pull in many many more species during harsh weather - i know the rough margins on 4 sites which attract Barn owl for starters.

---------------------------------------------------------------

The first returning Shelducks of the year returing to bring a splash of colour to the Houghton Patch today - though they'll have to wait a while yet, before all the ice goes.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back