• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Id (1 Viewer)

Rachael Smith

I know this is part of the birding forums, but thought some of the Malaysian birders might be of assistance, I posted this little treasure in the reptiles section for id but no replies.
We saw it in a local park and didn't get a look at it's head so we're finding it difficult to identify. It was a big snake, about 1.5-2 meters long (having only seen the back 3/4 of it) and it was pretty thick through. We only noticed it as there was a couple of bulbuls going nuts with warning calls. The tail had very clear stripes running the length of it to it's tip.

Attachments

• BF snake.jpg
    BF snake.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 142
These visible portions match very well the image of a Keeled Rat Snake, which is found in Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore as well as localized elsewhere in SE Asia -- found in my Snakes and Other Reptiles of Thailand and South-east Asia, by Cox, et al. Preys on mammals and birds.

Marie

Thanks Marie.
I have googled the Keeled Rat Snake and the markings do look similar - although I didn't see a pic that showed the tail very well. They did seem like quite long slender snakes though, the one we saw was very thick/solid, thicker than my wrist, at a guess I'd say about 60mm diameter (we were pretty close to it, it just didn't wait round for a photo shoot - I had to stand well back to get a focused shot as I had my 500mm lens on). Does your book give an indication of the size/thickness of the Keeled Rat Snake?
This is the most informative site I found, it's described as a nocturnal snake, we saw ours during the day - I can't find info on whether this is variable though.
http://www.naturemalaysia.com/keeledratsnake.htm
Cheers
Rach

Last edited:
Racheal i think you have found The King......King Cobras are thick and have markings like this ..tho in Thailand..the colour varies..usual kings seen by me had this slate grey colour with the above markings...hope some expert would I.D...it..regards.

Thanks Manjeet.
Either snake would be pretty exciting - it was a beautiful thing to see, and it certainly had the Bulbuls in a stir. If only it had shown it's face it would be easier to get a positive id. We will have to come and meet your 'King' and get some photos to compare!
Regards
Rach

Hi Rachael,

The snake is indeed the keeled rat snake, and it's usually found in deeper forest so it's indeed real cool to find it in the vicinity of KL! Which park exactly did you spot it?

Cheers

Thanks boigamaniac, I'm not sure of the name of the park off the top of my head, but it's on the way into TTDI from the Penchala Link tunnel - turn off toward TTDI before the exit to LDP and Mutiara Damansara, then take a left at second or third set of traffic lights before getting into TTDI shops, down little street and then turn right, park is on left hand side. We saw the snake in the undergrowth as we headed up the hill on the sealed walking track)
Cheers
Rach

Thanks for the info, I know which park you mean as I've jogged there a long time before. It surprises me that this small pocket of secondary forest framed by development can still yield some amazing species!

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back