• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID please-Greenshank,Juv Gull,Plover,Piper? (1 Viewer)

christineredgate

Winner of the Copeland Wildlife Photographer of th
This bird was sitting with a group of Turnstones in the reserve.He never moved from his resting place.A chap who was in the hide,said he thought it was a Greenshank,but having looked in the ID book,does not seem to have the bill of a Greenshank,could he be a juvie Gull?,or a Sandpiper/Plover ?.
These were the best shots I could manage.He was surrounded by Turnstones,spent most of his time with his head tucked under his wing as he dozed in the sunshine,and I was using an extender.
Many thanks,
Christine.

Attachments

• 2cnd-May-021a.jpg
    2cnd-May-021a.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 104
  • 2cnd-May-032a.jpg
    2cnd-May-032a.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 85
  • 2cnd-May-118a.jpg
    2cnd-May-118a.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 2cnd-May-154a.jpg
    2cnd-May-154a.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 74
Not great on plumages, but I would guess a young or non-breeding bird to be in that plumage this time of year Christine.

Knot are still largely grey at this time of year. I can't see any juv feathers, but its debatable whether they'd be clear in the photos

Christine, the juvenile plumage is the first plumage a bird will acquire. Juvenile birds of most species replace a part of the feathers (some replace all of them) during the late summer/autumn/winter, and most second calendar year birds are thus no longer called juveniles (many raptors are exceptions). The correct terms would be first winter or first summer (or simply 2cy = 2nd calendar year).

In this case the wing coverts are extremely worn, whereas the scapulars are fresher but still grey. Adult birds replace all of their breeding (summer) plumage feathers with winter plumage feathers during the autumn, and moult back to summer plumage during the spring. First winter birds moult only part of their juvenal feathers during the autumn. A Knot that shows two different generations of grey feathers in spring is thus a 2cy bird (the worn feathers are juvenal). Some 2cy Knots moult partially to summer plumage in spring, but this bird seems to show no summer plumage feathers.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back