• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Iceland or Glaucous Gull, Pennsylvania (1 Viewer)

jmepler

It's just a flesh wound.
United States
There has been some discussion about the identity of the bird shown at this link.

It seems pretty obvious to me, but others disagree.

What's your opinion?

for what it's worth (not that much) my feeling is glaucous. Bicoloured bill, small eye, primary extension beyond tertiaries not that big.

but, hopefully some of the gull experts on here can chip in.

James

I usually don’t like to give an opinion on a gull with only one pic to go on. But this certainly looks like a Glaucous based on eye size, bill thickness and pattern, short primary projection and thick neck...

Well now, that was my thinking too (Glauc).

As an aside perhaps (a question I've been wanting to ask), has there ever been any evidence/suspicion of hybridising between the two?

going by "jizz": Iceland gulls tend to look smooth, rounded, elegant, while Glaucous look harsh, awkward, angular. A bit like the difference between a Carrion Crow and a Rook or a falcon and a hawk/buzzard. While this one has a rounded head, it otherwise looks Glaucous-ish to me.

On hybridisation: Glaucous x Herring is a well-known hybrid, but I don't think I have ever heard of Iceland hybridising with any other species. Though an Iceland x Glaucous hybrid might be hard to definitively identify as such...

I thought Glaucous before I read the comments and for the reasons already given. Also, I would expect Iceland to show a less deep, more tapered bill. And (more of a question, this) shouldn't any Iceland with this two-toned bill pattern also have pale irides?

I thought Glaucous before I read the comments and for the reasons already given. Also, I would expect Iceland to show a less deep, more tapered bill. And (more of a question, this) shouldn't any Iceland with this two-toned bill pattern also have pale irides?

Nope, this pattern also occurs in juvenile/first winter glaucoides too.

Thanks to everyone for their opinion. It appears that nearly everyone involved has been convinced that it is a Glaucous Gull.

I think that this is a smaller (likely female) bird may have lead to some of the trouble some where having.

The two-toned bills on Iceland Gulls that I have seen, both juvenile and second winter birds, have never been this well defined.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back