• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Iceland/Kumlien's Gull (1 Viewer)

Hotspur

James Spencer
United Kingdom
This gull has generated a lot of discussion in Yorkshire about whether it is an Iceland with dark in the primaries or a pale Kumlien's Gull. I managed some shots today which show the primary marks well and wonder on peoples thoughts. Martin Garner has blogged about this bird with positive comments generally from gullers both sides of the Atlantic but birdguides are reporting it as an Iceland without even a caveat that it is interesting whilst RBA are reporting it as a Kumlien's. IMO the current thinking on Kumlien's Gull as a hybrid swarm would mean that the dark patterning (as opposed to a uniform melanism) would indicate introgression of Thayer's genes and thus it should be a Kumlien's. Anybody care to comment?

Attachments

• Kumlien%27s+Wing.jpg
    Kumlien%27s+Wing.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 125
  • Kumlien%27s+Gull.jpg
    Kumlien%27s+Gull.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 128
Would a 1st Winter Kumlien's Gull show patterning (albeit reduced) on the tertials...as appears to be on this bird?

cheers

these are some juv/1st winter kumlien's:

http://birdingnewfoundland.blogspot.de/2011/02/iceland-gulls-part-1-juv1st-winter.html

i hope chris gibbins soon will pull out some 1st winters too, he recently visited new-foundland and provided some brilliant pics of mostly adults here: http://chrisgibbins-gullsbirds.blogspot.de/2013/02/lighter-shades-of-pale-some-adult.html

on the OB - to my eyes it looks like a good iceland gull but i'm not really competent in details of the glaucoides-kumlien's-thayeri complex.
cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back