• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Iceland bird book (1 Viewer)

saw43dust

I am looking for a field guide to the birds of Iceland. Does anyone know of any? A source, name and author would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
bob

All European Guides WILL include Iceland. My favourate at the moment is The Collins Bird Guide by Mullarney, Svensson, Zetterstrom and Mr Gull himself.

saw43dust said:
I am looking for a field guide to the birds of Iceland. Does anyone know of any? A source, name and author would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
bob

I would, as "alle" recommend the Collins Bird Guide as the best guide on Icelandic birds. There are two icelandic field guides with photographs available, one by Þorsteinn Einarsson and another by Jóhann Óli Hilmarsson. Unfortunately I do not know the english titles of these two books but I do think the latter is better.
There is also a site guide by Jon Baldur Hlidberg and Helgi Gudmundsson named "Birdwatching in Iceland".

Gaukur said:
There are two icelandic field guides with photographs available, one by Þorsteinn Einarsson and another by Jóhann Óli Hilmarsson. Unfortunately I do not know the english titles of these two books but I do think the latter is better.

As Gaukur says the latter of these is the best guide to just the birds of Iceland and probably the only one currently available. It's called Icelandic Bird Guide in English, see here http://www.nhbs.com/xbscripts/bksrch?r=80409;l=3

As the others suggest the best field guide to Europe (including Iceland) is the Collins Guide, known in the States as the Birds of Europe
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_1/103-2741273-6588625?v=glance&s=books

E

thanks for the quick replies, I have ordered Icelandic Bird Guide. Now I just have to wait until June when we fly over............... Should be a blast.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back