• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I like birds! (1 Viewer)

WokeBecky

United States
Greetings from Central Texas! I've been a casual bird fan all of my life. I usually put out feeders and home and at work and a bird bath or two.

I live in a newly built subdivision near Austin, Texas. It's full of similar looking small to medium non-descript houses. We were all given two nearly dead trees and three bushes by the developer.

I put my feeders out on shepherd's hooks when I first moved in 3.5 years ago. No birds partook of my offerings. It wasn't until last year that a few birds started showing up. I was so excited! I didn't care that they were common "trash" birds that most people attempted to drive off (i.e. doves, grackles, and starlings).

During the great storm in February of this year, I found several dead, frozen solid birds on my front porch. I jumped into action and made a rustic suet from supplies I had on hand--some old bird seed, peanut butter, pecans, raisins, oats, flour, and cornmeal. I also put out water. I instantly had hundreds if not a thousand cold starving birds of many species on my porch. Their droppings ultimately stained my porch permanently, but I didn't care!

That awoke my love of birds all over again. Unfortunately the storm killed 100% of my landscaping including my grass, so I'm starting from ground zero, but I still have lots of birds flocking to my feeders!

Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure that you will find lots to interest you here and I hope that you enjoy your visits.

Sounds like you are doing a great job with providing for the birds. Good luck with the gardening, too!

Hi and welcome to the forum on behalf of the staff and moderators. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

Hi WokeBecky and a warm welcome from me too.

That sounds to have been a dreadful winter storm - what a shame you lost so many birds there.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

@delia todd It was horrible. It snowed over 2 feet and was -0 for almost a week. I live in Texas which is semi-tropical. It was a "once in a lifetime storm." Lives were lost, property was damaged, landscaping ruined, and wildlife decimated.

Texas is used to hurricanes, tornadoes, torrential rains, extremely high heat, high humidity, prolonged (years long) drought, and the very occasional snow or ice storm. Prolonged extreme cold caused our power grid to fail. Our homes and infrastructure aren't designed to withstand extreme, prolonged cold. It was catastrophic.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back