• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

hybrid duck, Sawston, Cambridge, UK, 26.04.2021 (1 Viewer)

lou salomon

the birdonist
i guess this is Mareca sibilatrix x ? but which is the other parent???
photographed by Tibi Nica, yesterday, 26.04.2021 in Sawston, Cambridge, UK.
Jörn, would you please have a look?

cheers

Attachments

• sibilatrix X1.jpg
    sibilatrix X1.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 126
  • sibilatrix X2.jpg
    sibilatrix X2.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 124
  • sibliatrix X0.jpg
    sibliatrix X0.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 126
HI Lou,

Please could the photographer (or you) send all the originals to me -if photographer allows?

That seems to be something very unusual -one parent is clearly chiloe wigeon, as you already realized. and I have a suspicion about the other ....but if so , it is a new cross. I need a close look here

We discussed what is probably the same duck with friends some time ago... My opinion was (and still is),
that it could be Lophonetta specularioides x Mareca sibilatrix .
I think your friends photos are from the same region and its likely the same species combo - the photo I linked is from Dernford reservoir , Cambridgeshire
But neither photos are clear enough to be 100% sure - and as far as I know there are no proven Lophonetta hybrids so far.

any look at the speculum might clarify this ....

ok, i'll ask Tibi. and i already suspected that pics of such a striking bird in a well watched location would already have found a way to you :p.
it was a real mystery which anatid could have accounted for that very long tail and i'd never have guessed it could be from Lophonetta specularioides.
i fear these are all the pics he took, though. i'll ask him about the originals.

Last edited:
HI Lou,

Please could the photographer (or you) send all the originals to me -if photographer allows?

That seems to be something very unusual -one parent is clearly chiloe wigeon, as you already realized. and I have a suspicion about the other ....but if so , it is a new cross. I need a close look here
Thanks a lot both J

We discussed what is probably the same duck with friends some time ago... My opinion was (and still is),
that it could be Lophonetta specularioides x Mareca sibilatrix .
I think your friends photos are from the same region and its likely the same species combo - the photo I linked is from Dernford reservoir , Cambridgeshire
But neither photos are clear enough to be 100% sure - and as far as I know there are no proven Lophonetta hybrids so far.

any look at the speculum might clarify this ....
Thanks a lot both Jörn and Lou. Jörn, Lou send me your email address and I'll send you the originals later today.
The photos are indeed from the same location, Denford Reservoir. Since I live very close, I'll try to locate it again in the next couple of days.
Cheers

Wow- that confirms it : Lophonetta specularioides x Mareca sibilatrix,

you have not only the long rear end of Lophonetta
an underwing resembling Lophonetta
the white trailing
speculum iridescence coppery like in Lophonetta
edge and white tongues reaching ito the speculum indicating that one parent must have had a broad white rear edge to the speculum, like Lophonetta, upperwing coverts mainly dark as in Lophonetta

see this for comparison:
Crested duck Lophonetta specularioides

I can only speculate if there is a zoo with a setting with South American fauna closeby? while chiloe wigeon is extremly common in captivity , South American crested duck is not so, as far as I know

I can only speculate if there is a zoo with a setting with South American fauna closeby? while chiloe wigeon is extremly common in captivity , South American crested duck is not so, as far as I know
I'll search on the local zoo, but they are some really unusual animals on private land in Cambridgeshire as well. I found this article, but I'm not sure how trustworthy the magazine is:

that's a domestic duck (of mallard ancestry) called "Crested Duck", Tibi, different to the wild south-american species L. specularoides.

Hello Tibi,
I cant add something to this thread, I just wanted to say a big "Thank You" to you. I see that you just joined this forum to provide pictures of a very unusual bird (including excellent flight shots) that, coupled with expert comments, results in a very intesting thread for future reference.

One of my neighbours pointed out that is a a breeder of exotic waterfowl almost next door - they might have some connection for parentage?

PS Thanks Alexander, your very kind!

Thanks Tibi, they do not seem to have Lophonetta, but maybe they do not mention it ...

They have Marbled teal (Marmaronetta angustirostris) , but that doesn´t fit with several traits , e.g. with the speculum
(though this species is superficially somewhat similar on first glance)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back