• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hurcott Pool & Caunsall canal. (1 Viewer)

Pam_m

For a change of scenery I decided on an early morning visit to Hurcott Pool and it was surprisingly productive with Great Crested Grebe, Coot, Moorhen and Mallard all with young on the pool. Grey Heron (x3), Canada Geese, Sedge Warbler, Reed Warbler, Songthrush, Blackbird and Buzzard made up the remaining birds seen here with Chiffchaff heard only!
Next stop was Caunsall canal and in all honesty not much about though I had hoped for a few butterflies, Speckled Wood and White species were all I found. Whitethroat, Blackbird and Blackcap were seen regularly on the walk and very vocal though once again Chiffchaff was heard only!

Attachments

• P1110546 [].JPG
    P1110546 [].JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 93
  • P1110585 [].JPG
    P1110585 [].JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 72
  • P1110590 [].JPG
    P1110590 [].JPG
    90 KB · Views: 95
  • P1110619 [].JPG
    P1110619 [].JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 107
  • P1110670 [].JPG
    P1110670 [].JPG
    90 KB · Views: 82
It's always good to spread the wings somewhere new....love all the pics....with the Baby Grebe the stand out one.

Hows the Poppies coming along on the Kiddy/Hagley road ?
Keith :t:

It's always good to spread the wings somewhere new....love all the pics....with the Baby Grebe the stand out one.

Hows the Poppies coming along on the Kiddy/Hagley road ?
Keith :t:

Thanks Keith, the baby Grebe is my favourite too! The two areas visited are not new to me but not visited very often by me.

I went to Lower Smite Farm early this morning (to miss the heat of the day), plenty of Meadow brown, a couple of Small Tortoiseshell and I am 98% sure that a fleeting glimpse was had of a Marbled White butterfly! There were also Azure damselflies and Common blue damselflies aplenty!

I will have to check the poppies out again sometime this week, I presume you mean the field of poppies on the Birmingham Road. The photo's attached were taken last Monday (1st). The poppies looked a real treat though there were still plenty more to come in to bloom, the recent hot weather should spur them on! Parking is not very gain though so care must be taken if parking up to view! I stood precariously on the gate to the field to take the last pic!

Attachments

• P1110428 [].JPG
    P1110428 [].JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 77
  • P1110449 [].JPG
    P1110449 [].JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 86
  • P1110514 [].JPG
    P1110514 [].JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Moved the boat from Caunsall to Woverley, weather nice but nothing of note.

Put in an hour or so @ Hurcott, absolutely zilch, 4 Mallard and a Coot! A mooch thru the woodland produced woodland thingies and finished on the field perimeter with just a few Woodies feeding on the stubble. There isn't any newly turned soil yet so i would'nt expect much anyway.

2 Buzzards over the wood were the only thing of note.

Laurie:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back