• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbirds (1 Viewer)

Mostly Autumn

I'm going to Playacar next year and was hoping to see lots of Hummingbirds but I wont be going until mid August,is that too late in the year to see them? Any help would be appreciated,it's been driving me mad trying to Google for information.;)

Hello Mostly Autumn (if that is your real name) ;)

most hummingbirds in southern mexico are year-round residents, the exception being ruby-throated, and ironically, august might even be too early for them!

i would expect the commonest species around playacar to be the cinnamon hummingbird but if you can get out into the "countryside" you might see some other species like wedge-tailed sabrewing, green-breasted mango, buff-bellied hummingbird, Canivet's emerald and white-bellied emerald

the yucatan also has two endemic or nearly endemic species, mexican sheartail (on the north coast - esp Rio Lagartos, and Cozumel emerald (on Cozumel island funnily enough)

good luck!

James

I e-mailed the hotel one week before my arrival to request a 2nd storey room overlooking the Jungle and golf course (more of which later). Boy was I right to do so. The view from both a relaxing out of the sun space and birding perspective was superb. I had a tally of 36 species from my balcony including such exotics as Aztec Parakeet, White-fronted Parrot, Cinnamon Hummingbird and Yellow-billed Cacique, not to mention half a dozen different Orioles and Flycatchers!! I stayed at the RIU Tequila room 1316. ([email protected])

After Googling some of the birds you mentioned I found this for the hotel I'm staying in which even gives me the perfect room to stay in for birding,so thanks again.B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back