• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HS 10 with Sony converter (1 Viewer)

Hi Steve,

I have no experience of the Sony but have just purchased the Olympus tcon 17 from Amazon which is also a 1.7 x converter. I am very pleased with the results so far. The main differences between the two is that the TCON 17 is lighter at 260g and has a 55mm thread needing a step down ring to fit. No vignetting issues when used on full zoom and you lose about 1.5 stops which is okay as long as you have reasonable light. The nice thing about the Sony is that it does not need an adaptor ring which brings it closer to the HS10 lens, minimising any soft focus issues, although I have not seen any with the tcon 17. Also the reviews on Amazon are all excellent for the Sony particulalry from the guy who fitted it to an HS10. As they are both the same price, take your pick.

Amazon link for tcon 17

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-Con...NR6A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294343949&sr=1-1

Hi Steve,

I have no experience of the Sony but have just purchased the Olympus tcon 17 from Amazon which is also a 1.7 x converter. I am very pleased with the results so far. The main differences between the two is that the TCON 17 is lighter at 260g and has a 55mm thread needing a step down ring to fit. No vignetting issues when used on full zoom and you lose about 1.5 stops which is okay as long as you have reasonable light. The nice thing about the Sony is that it does not need an adaptor ring which brings it closer to the HS10 lens, minimising any soft focus issues, although I have not seen any with the tcon 17. Also the reviews on Amazon are all excellent for the Sony particulalry from the guy who fitted it to an HS10. As they are both the same price, take your pick.

Amazon link for tcon 17

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-Con...NR6A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294343949&sr=1-1

annoyingly I had a tcon 17 but broke it when I fell over camera first

You might want to wait a while if you're planning to buy a HS10 as a new upgrade of the camera (predictably called the HS20) has just been announced. Presumably it will be an improvement on the old model but I'm sure a search online will give you the details,

You might want to wait a while if you're planning to buy a HS10 as a new upgrade of the camera (predictably called the HS20) has just been announced. Presumably it will be an improvement on the old model but I'm sure a search online will give you the details,

Too late it arrived yesterday! Nice and cheap though (<£240) and I'm not convinced making the new model 16Mp is a good move.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back