• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica 8 x 42 Noctivid Case (1 Viewer)

Anon2020

I've regularly dipped into this forum but have not until now considered joining as I'm not an optics expert and did not think I had much to contribute; I have however recently acquired a pair of Noctivid 8 x 42 binoculars (they're on a 20% off special offer until the end of June in the UK) and was disappointed with the supplied carrying case.

Having spent some time fruitlessly browsing the 'net and getting increasingly frustrated at the lack of aftermarket binocular cases available I remembered that I had a Lowepro camera case/pouch which I no longer use and which I thought might be suitable. Sure enough, after having cut out an internal divider which serves no useful purpose, I found that the Noctivids (and I imagine any similarly sized roof prism binoculars) do, in their folded state, fit. Not only that but the Lowepro (only £13 on Amazon) is in my opinion of better quality than the Leica case and the few other cases I've seen for sale and being generously padded offers better protection.

The case is a Lowepro LP36930 Scout SH 100 Camera Case and the Amazon link is:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lowepro-LP...rds=lowepro+scout+sh100&qid=1592663673&sr=8-2

I'll try to post a photo below and apologies if this does not work. If anyone has any tips on how to reduce the resolution of a JPEG let me know as the only way I've found of posting the photo is by converting it to a pdf.

Attachments

• Lowepro pic.pdf
    244.4 KB · Views: 57
Hi,

Where was this 20%, so did you pay £1399? I've been looking to get a pair, and that would be cheaper than the current second hand offers.

Cheers,

Mark

Uttings and other retailers are selling them for between £1700 and £1750 which would be about £1400 - £1450 with the VAT deducted.

I've regularly dipped into this forum but have not until now considered joining as I'm not an optics expert and did not think I had much to contribute; I have however recently acquired a pair of Noctivid 8 x 42 binoculars (they're on a 20% off special offer until the end of June in the UK) and was disappointed with the supplied carrying case.

Having spent some time fruitlessly browsing the 'net and getting increasingly frustrated at the lack of aftermarket binocular cases available I remembered that I had a Lowepro camera case/pouch which I no longer use and which I thought might be suitable. Sure enough, after having cut out an internal divider which serves no useful purpose, I found that the Noctivids (and I imagine any similarly sized roof prism binoculars) do, in their folded state, fit. Not only that but the Lowepro (only £13 on Amazon) is in my opinion of better quality than the Leica case and the few other cases I've seen for sale and being generously padded offers better protection.

The case is a Lowepro LP36930 Scout SH 100 Camera Case and the Amazon link is:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lowepro-LP...rds=lowepro+scout+sh100&qid=1592663673&sr=8-2

I'll try to post a photo below and apologies if this does not work. If anyone has any tips on how to reduce the resolution of a JPEG let me know as the only way I've found of posting the photo is by converting it to a pdf.

I know you have solved your case problem but just to report for the benefit of anyone interested that Billingham makes a so-called Galbin case that even is pictured with a Noctivid 10x42 alongside: take a look at their range (all made in England and well thought of by photographers and other outdoor people). And their 8x case is pictured with an Ultravid 8x32HD.

https://billingham.co.uk/collections/field/products/galbin-binocular-case?variant=12814133755947

Tom

I prefer the traditional case with a fold-over closure flap, as supplied with Ultravids, which I use without a case strap, relying solely on the binocular strap which extends outside the case. The Noctivid case cannot be used in this fashion and without padding offers little shock protection.

The Billingham cases are very attractive but also very expensive. I’m sure there would be a market for simple, well designed and reasonably priced canvas or cordura binocular cases were someone to offer these in a range of sizes.

The binocular case is a very minor thing, most do not get used at all, just get tossed on a shelf
in the basement.

Not sure why this has aroused so many so much....

Jerry

It probably is not that big a deal for most binocular owners but my principal mode of transport is a motorbike or scooter where the binos are stored under the seat or in a top box where they will get thrown about rather more than usual. A padded case is thus quite important.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back