• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HR66 Opinions (1 Viewer)

GaryB

Hello All,

I thought it about time to stop lurking and make my first post. Having recently got back into birding (in a very amature sort of way!) I have decided that I really must have a scope. I went down to in focus at Slimbridge who were really helpful, and tried their cheap scope (a delta 70) and an ES80 ED (with a 32x eyepiece I think). It was clear (oops - terrible pun!) that the cheap scope wasn't what I wanted, bit I really liked the ES80.

They are now offering an HR66 + 30x) tripod for £299. I won't be able to afford the ES80 this year so I am considering having the HR66 to start with. What do you all think of the HR66 please - worth having? I will of course go and have a look through one before making a final decision.

Thanks

Gary

It's a good scope. Also, if you have a look at www.warehouseexpress.com (linked as a banner ad above usually), you can still get hold of the superb little Nikon Fieldscope III + 30xW for your budget and I think this a true bargain as it is a genuine reduction. A tripod is needed, too, of course - the Velbon Sherpa is a good buy.

the non ED 66 is a good scope but I get the feeling you are just cutting corners. If you are considering the 66 as a stop gap measure for a year I'd save your money and then buy the best you can afford next year.

Thanks Pete and Steve - this is useful advice for me to consider. I have used warehouse express to buy camera equipment and would recommend them to anyone - I just wish they had a showroom!

Gary

Last edited:
Yes - and it's not fair that they don't, in my view - on the traditional optics retailers that do. But it's a new fact of retail life and somehow the smaller retailers are going to have to find a way around or perish, I suppose, as many buyers do seem happy with a lower price Internet service.

It must be heartily sickening for those who work in shops such as In Focus (and the RSPB optics shops such as the excellent ones at Minsmere and Titchwell) to know how many of their potential customers use them merely for demonstration purposes and then take their trade to an Internet supplier.

Like you, I have bought from Warehouse Express and had no problems. I dare say they would be happy for you to return a scope - even for a full refund - if you weren't in any way happy with it. I have bought from them only when they offer a real bargain - and in their current offers on, for example, the Nikon Fieldscope III an ED78 scopes and the Nikon Sporter binoculars, it would be daft to think they don't deserve people's custom because the prices are so exceptional for top flight kit.

I hope that the competition from Internet suppliers will find a balance - at best, it will sharpen up the service offered by the smaller retailers. I have certainly spent far more over the years at In Focus and the RSPB, for example, than on the Internet, and have no qualms at thinking I could have saved just a few pounds by buying on the Web. They both offer tremendous service.

GaryB said:
Hello All,

I thought it about time to stop lurking and make my first post. Having recently got back into birding (in a very amature sort of way!) I have decided that I really must have a scope. I went down to in focus at Slimbridge who were really helpful, and tried their cheap scope (a delta 70) and an ES80 ED (with a 32x eyepiece I think). It was clear (oops - terrible pun!) that the cheap scope wasn't what I wanted, bit I really liked the ES80.

They are now offering an HR66 + 30x) tripod for £299. I won't be able to afford the ES80 this year so I am considering having the HR66 to start with. What do you all think of the HR66 please - worth having? I will of course go and have a look through one before making a final decision.

Thanks

Gary

Given that you suggest buying a scope to keep for a few years only, wouldn't it make sense to buy a used one from a private seller? That way when you come to sell you won't lose much if anything! Of course you will have to take a bit of care to examine if properly, but that's not too hard with common sense and care. BTW I say private seller as IMO dealers charge far too much for used kit. Some even sell used kit at a price that exceeds the cheapest new price!

Leif said:
Given that you suggest buying a scope to keep for a few years only, wouldn't it make sense to buy a used one from a private seller? That way when you come to sell you won't lose much if anything! Of course you will have to take a bit of care to examine if properly, but that's not too hard with common sense and care. BTW I say private seller as IMO dealers charge far too much for used kit. Some even sell used kit at a price that exceeds the cheapest new price!

Leif - good idea. I have been watching out, but as you say alot of the S/H scopes sell for very high prices (even from private sellers).

Gary

GaryB said:
I went down to in focus at Slimbridge..............
Gary, Be aware that the 30x eye-piece is the HR version. Many people prefer the HDF28WW version with it's wider field of view, although it is about £80 more expensive! This may be a consideration where, as you have later stated, some sellers of second-hand 'scope kits are charging more.

Roger

second hand gear is well worth considering......

you can get top quality at bargain prices. For the price of a new Opticron you could perhaps get a Nikon ED111, Kowa 614 Fluorite, 613 Fluorite or a Nikon 111 (new even from Warehouse Express)

Gary: I've sent you a PM about a used scope. (Not me that's selling it!) It might be good, or it might be dodgy.

Thanks for all this help!

Roger - you are right I am definitely going to want a "wide" eyepiece, so that scuppers the "cheap deal".

It looks like the taxman is also going to make a contribution (tax refund) so I think I will probably wait a week or two and see how much that is! All I need to do now is decide straight or angled (although the ES80 is only angled I think), it seems that straight is good for hides, angled for outside...

Gary

The straight/angled debate has been aired before a few times here. If you are taller than average, I'd say angled is most suitable more of the time, but you must try out both. If you've got a bit more cash, the HDF eyepieces are immeasureably better - and the HR66ED and ES80ED are both fine scopes (but those Warehouse Express Nikon / Kowa offers are surely tempting for a major brand name at a knockdown price...).

On another thread there seems to be a delighted ED78 customer singing its praises (and not the first):

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=14319&goto=newpost

Steve,

You are right - the warehouse express offers are very tempting! Decisions, decisions.......

Gary

scampo said:
The straight/angled debate has been aired before a few times here. If you are taller than average, I'd say angled is most suitable more of the time, but you must try out both. If you've got a bit more cash, the HDF eyepieces are immeasureably better - and the HR66ED and ES80ED are both fine scopes (but those Warehouse Express Nikon / Kowa offers are surely tempting for a major brand name at a knockdown price...).

On another thread there seems to be a delighted ED78 customer singing its praises (and not the first):

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=14319&goto=newpost

Ah - such fun. In fact, one of the enjoyments of the hobby, but not to be repeated too often! I know money is always an issue, but I have never met anyone who, once the shock of the bill has faded away, has regretted spending a lot on kit. When all is said and done, a top-name scope will last a good many years. I just know that if you buy less than a top name, you will always be hankering after a Zeiss, a Swaro, a Leica or whatever.

And an ED scope is best. So - if you can, either push the boat out and get a Zeiss 85 + zoom, or whatever; or get that Nikon ED78 and be very nearly as happy and a lot better off. If you got either you'd be thrilled to bits and if there's anything wrong with your birding, well - you'll know it's not the kit!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back