• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How's your 2022 list going? (4 Viewers)

Today I went over to the Ohio River which forms the western border of West Virginia. Some birds that are easy there are pretty tricky in this part of the state. Didn’t do as well as I hoped, but I did add three birds to my Year List.

79. American Coot
80. American Herring Gull
81. Peregrine Falcon

Dave

(Southern Palm Beach)
108. Purple Martin
109. American Bittern
110. Gray-headed Swamphen
111. Purple Gallinule
112. Sora
113. White-winged Dove
114. Mottled Duck
115. Glossy Ibis
116. Northern Shoveler
117. Egyptian Goose
118. Black-bellied Whistling-Duck
119. Merlin
120. American Wigeon
121. Gadwall
122. Dickcissel
123. Indigo Bunting
124. Blue Grosbeak
125. Tricolored Munia
126. Northern Rough-winged Swallow
127. Tropical Kingbird
128. Vermillion Flycatcher

Today I went over to the Ohio River which forms the western border of West Virginia. Some birds that are easy there are pretty tricky in this part of the state. Didn’t do as well as I hoped, but I did add three birds to my Year List.

79. American Coot
80. American Herring Gull
81. Peregrine Falcon

Dave
No sooner did I finish typing this than I checked my feeder and saw another new bird.

82. Red-winged Blackbird

Very rare here in the winter.

Dave

I can't believe I almost made it out of January without seeing/hearing this... was kind of hoping to set a record:
85. House Sparrow

According to ebird, this is apparently my best year yet compared to the prior years since I have started birding, with 171 species seen; next highest for this date is 91 from 2020, but usually if I am stuck in Wisconsin I am often in the 20s. On the local level I have added two states birds, one of which is a lifer. Also I managed an additional 6 bird lifers in California and a lifer mammal. Knock on wood but hopefully this is a good omen for the rest of the year!

Last edited:
A nice walk around the neighborhood with the family yielded 2 expected year birds and 1 less anticipated visitor:
86. Cedar Waxwing
87. Pine Siskin
88. American Goldfinch

(Southern Palm Beach)
108. Purple Martin
109. American Bittern
110. Gray-headed Swamphen
111. Purple Gallinule
112. Sora
113. White-winged Dove
114. Mottled Duck
115. Glossy Ibis
116. Northern Shoveler
117. Egyptian Goose
118. Black-bellied Whistling-Duck
119. Merlin
120. American Wigeon
121. Gadwall
122. Dickcissel
123. Indigo Bunting
124. Blue Grosbeak
125. Tricolored Munia
126. Northern Rough-winged Swallow
127. Tropical Kingbird
128. Vermillion Flycatcher
Is the Torry Island pouluation of Tricolored Munia considered a wild in origin established group?

Is the Torry Island pouluation of Tricolored Munia considered a wild in origin established group?
It's leaning either way, the birds were not found until late last year, but considering the site wasn't heavily birded until recently who knows; now however, the site has become a mini "Patagonia picnic table" with rare birds being reported on a weekly basis, the newest addition is at least 4 American Pipits just today.

But going back to the Munias, the odd part is that the ABA kind of considers them countable since any bird found in Florida is considered a "vagrant" from Cuba.

Had a wander around Debrecen's botanical gardens today and picked up a couple of new woodpeckers for the year and also bumped into the juvenile Saker that has been spending the winter in the city.

86. Peregrine Falcon (26th Jan)

87. Black Woodpecker
88. Lesser Spotted Woodpecker
89. Saker Falcon

Went to the eastern panhandle of West Virginia this morning and picked up three new birds for the year

86. Savannah Sparrow
87. Horned Lark
88. Rough-legged Hawk

Dave

Rebuilding a big house all by myself is eating into most if not all of my birding time. A 15 minute walk in a nearby park netted me a new bird for the 2022 list though

48. Eurasian Tree Sparrow

Quick one hour morning walk in a local parc next to a small river here in Lliçà d'Amunt

49. Ring-necked Pheasant
50. Short-toed Treecreeper
51. Monk Parakeet
52. Common Kingfisher

Last edited:
A few days visiting my folks in Ventura:
89. Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
90. Cassin’s Kingbird
91. Say’s Phoebe
92. Vesper Sparrow
93. Black-bellied Plover
94. Black-crowned Night-Heron
95. Common Yellowthroat
96. Song Sparrow
97. Great Blue Heron
98. Pied-billed Grebe
99. Northern Shoveler
100. American White Pelican
101. Yellow-crowned Night-Heron
102. Virginia Rail
103. Marsh Wren
104. Sora
105. Great-tailed Grackle
106. Great Horned Owl
107. Tree Swallow

Last edited:
It's leaning either way, the birds were not found until late last year, but considering the site wasn't heavily birded until recently who knows; now however, the site has become a mini "Patagonia picnic table" with rare birds being reported on a weekly basis, the newest addition is at least 4 American Pipits just today.

But going back to the Munias, the odd part is that the ABA kind of considers them countable since any bird found in Florida is considered a "vagrant" from Cuba.
I think its more that the ABA doesn't entangle themselves into debates on what and what isn't countable once that species is on the checklist. ABA's stance isn't "Now any Tricolored Munia seen in its boundaries is countable", it's "The Tricolored Munia is on the checklist...count it on your own discretion, as we do not evaluate all individual records of rare birds"

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back