• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Howdy from Flagstaff (1 Viewer)

pondercat

So where to begin?
My name is Terry and my wife I live about 15 miles outside of Flagstaff, Arizona. We are in a very good spot for birds and wildlife of all kinds. Our property is located about a half mile off of the main road and is bordered on two sides by national forest. We regularly have elk, deer, porcupines, rabbits, bobcats, fox - you name it - visiting our two and a half acres. We have a lot of birds to say the least. My wife has many different feeders and waterers, for just about everything that walks, crawls, or flies, and it seems that every year we are seeing something new; sometimes birds that are not supposed to be in this area. Our garden is very lush in the spring and summer, which year after year, attracts a great many birds, many that are returning to raise their families here, and I cannot tell you how many hummigbirds show up here every year. I know we use ten to fifteen pounds of sugar a week at their peak to keep ten or so feeders full.
It is also not uncommon to see Bald Eagles, Golden eagles, and several species of hawks. In fact my wife regularly holds vigil over the garden protecting her birds from attack by the hawks that live in the area. It's quite comical really. The hawks are so used to her that they just go a little ways away and wait, sometimes voicing their indignation at being deprived of an easy meal. She would stay out at night to protect the critters from the owls if she could.

Okay, enough introduction. It's good to be here. Be talking to you soon. Terry

Welcome to the Forum, Terry.

I'm sure Flagstaff was featured on an episode of the X-Files once, which is how I recognised the name. Rest-assured we're all a bit more down-to-earth here on the Forum, and we all look forward to reading your posts from Arizona.

:t:

Hi terry + wife,

the place you live is what i call a paradise o:)

how lucky u must be living there! I once went to CO for four weeks and never saw one bald eagle eventho they oughta be living there in very great numbers. Nevertheless i think u could give us here some good sightings and stories, even when i am not that familiar with all American species.
Have a great time around here, just like i do!

Howdy to you (plural) too, Terry,

You hail from a beautiful part of Arizona. Hope you have a lot of photos you can share with us. I also hope we'll be hearing from Mrs. Pondercat, too. Welcome aboard!

Hi Terry and wife :)

Welcome to Birdforum. We're glad that you managed to find your way here. Everyone is very friendly here, so don't be afraid to ask if you need any help finding your way around or have any other queries. I hope that you find plenty of threads to interest you and of course photos in the Gallery.

You seem to be living in a wildlife haven, or should that be heaven ;) It cetainly sounds like you live in an area that I'd love to live in too !

See you around :bounce:

Hi to you both

Welcome to this forum. Ian and the others have said it all already. All I ask is: "can you place some photo's of your place in the gallery so that I can drool over it" please!!

Thanks to everyone for the warm friendly welcomes. I'll get some photos up as soon as I get my scanner working right, or a new one. Meanwhile I'll be around. PC

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back