• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How waterproof is your anorak? (1 Viewer)

desgreene said:
... some chav scum nicked mine from the pub recently (it leaked like a seive anyway so hopefully he caught pneumonia!).

Des.
You won't be buying Burberry again, then, Des..?

;-)

Glad you like the Paramo coat, Andrew. I haven't met anyone yet who, once they bite the bullet on cost, isn't pleased with Paramo. It is easily the softest and most comfortable wet and windy weather gear available. They have unusual and highly ethical manufacturing and employment practices, too, so in buying their gear you support a company who pays decent wages to their employees overseas.

Last edited:
scampo said:
That'll teach you to buy Burberry, des...

;-)

I new my little secret would get out before long. But Burberry breaks up your outline so well when you're in the field (or climbing drain pipes at night).

;)

Des.

desgreene said:
You've no idea what it's like DJ, they're everywhere!

It's wall to wall Henry Lloyd down here.

Sounds harsh. I would invest in a baseball bat.

Aberdeen doormen seem to be doing the business at keeping chavs on the street where they belong up here.

desgreene said:
It's wall to wall Henry Lloyd down here.
Wall to wall Henri Lloyd in the Scilly Boatmen's Association too!

They have a reason and it makes me chuckle to see a spiky haired chav in Henri Lloyd and picturing a windburnt and wrinkled old seafarer with his jacket on! Just feel like saying "Hi Popeye!"

Ivan said:
I have just started reading this thread and yes I have sat and read it all through this morning. Must be something about having an extra hour:)
Surprised no-one has mentioned Rohan clothing. I have used their waterproof coats for years and have never had any water come thro' or had a need too waterproof one.
Ivan

Yep! I wear the bags, plenty of big pockets and quickdrying too if they get wet. Popular gear around in this part of the country. ;)

Yes it's a zombie thread arisen from the dead...

Well it seemed a better idea than starting a new one. With autumn approaching I'm after a waterproof jacket for birdwatching and coastal walking. Any further comments? I like the look of Paramo gear but the budget is really £130 max and looking around I can't find any clearance stuff in XL in a suitable colour...

Other jackets I've looked at are the Berghaus Cornice (2 ply Goretex - a little rustlely but not too bad) or the Berghaus Arkle (Aquafoil - seems quieter but wondered about how breathable/durable it is).

Sorry Barbour fans - I'm not after a wax jacket.

Any ideas, bargains spotted etc. welcome.

Thanks

Richard the following company are selling Paramo coats with a 15% discount,the Cascada which I have is a superb coat, I realise your budget,but they are selling at £153.00.if you can stretch to this you would not be disappointed with the coat.

POP

http://www.hitchnhike.com/

Hi,
I am looking for a new waterproof but one of the considerations is pockets. Fitting a field guide, notebook, bottle of water, camera, lenses, snacks etc is a problem with lots of jackets.Yes I know a rucksac is the answer, but I often have my scope on my back using a mule carrier. The Country Innovation Falcon looks good but a comment was that the pockets let water in, is the paramo well endowed with pockets and do they stay dry.

Steve

Suffolk Steve said:
Hi,
I am looking for a new waterproof but one of the considerations is pockets. Fitting a field guide, notebook, bottle of water, camera, lenses, snacks etc is a problem with lots of jackets.Yes I know a rucksac is the answer, but I often have my scope on my back using a mule carrier. The Country Innovation Falcon looks good but a comment was that the pockets let water in, is the paramo well endowed with pockets and do they stay dry.

Steve
You won't know how good Paramo is until you've bought one - and then you'll never want anything else. Their products are comfy, the most breathable, the most long lasting and the quietest. They physically 'pump' water away from you in a completely different way from a typical 'waterproof'.

Really - there is no comparison - nothing similar at all. All others have a membrane that can puncture, is rustly and will wear out. If you search Google you'll find a few offers - eBay has some. My wife's just bought a Cascada for £110 brand new and it's a delight. She also found Cascada trousers on eBay for £40-00. They are spot on.

Last edited:
I've got a paramo cascada coat and its not waterproof if anything is pressing against it, e.g. rucksack straps or a tripod. A friend of mine has got the paramo "waterproof" trousers and they got sopping wet when walking through wet grass. The paramo gear is very well made, comfortable, quiet, etc, etc, its just not the most waterproof product in my experience.

Rich.

After all this time I can say Paramo is the dog's b******s.

For storage try the Country Innovations waistcoat under it to store your camera. Got one meself but hardly use it. Can't be a***d with more than the scope and bins.

Richard Scott said:
I've got a paramo cascada coat and its not waterproof if anything is pressing against it, e.g. rucksack straps or a tripod. A friend of mine has got the paramo "waterproof" trousers and they got sopping wet when walking through wet grass. The paramo gear is very well made, comfortable, quiet, etc, etc, its just not the most waterproof product in my experience.

Rich.
The coat must surely need reproofing - simply wash in Nikwax and it's done. The trousers? Not all Paramo trousers are waterproof - some just windproof. I have never seen a waterproof Paramo garment become soaking wet - there simply has to be some issue here. Water just beads off our Paramo gear. When stretched against the skin and rubbed (as with a back pack) the Fuera will allow some water through - but it's supposed to. The products are very clear in what each one will achieve.

In some years of use, I have been unable to fault them.

norman said:
Anyone contemplating buying Paramo gear should look at the following sites.
www.15-below.com
www.wildtrak.com
Went out in the wind and rain yesterday and my did it pour. But the Paramo kit was, as ever, comfortable and we were as dry as can be. I love being out in that weather - so fresh.

The Cascada trousers are a dream - worth the price.

There is nothing wrong with Paramo jackets, i have tried all the others over the years, Lowe Alpine, Mountain Equipment, North Face, RAB, Gore-tex, Event etc etc, and in winter you cannot beat a Paramo for warmth and waterproofing.
I have been using them now for 7 + years, mine have been all over the fells in the lakes.
The hoods are fantastic, not only are they warm but you get none of that plasticy scrunching sound you get when wearing a nylon, gore-tex hood.
Okay they may be expensive, but consider i have had one of my 2 jackets for over 7 years now, and its still waterproof (i am not 100% sure that its still fully windproof though) as long as you proof it in Nikwax now and again.

In summer though i wear/carry a RAB event jacket becuase its a lot lighter than the Paramo.

Neil

Out of interest the Paramo jackets i have had for 7+ years are the Prima and the Scala (now the ex-girlfriends) , does anyone remember them?

I have currently just got hold of a Cascada in Forest Green, the cuffs are different than on the old jackets (bit of a mess as well) but the hood is a lot better.

Hill_Walker said:
Out of interest the Paramo jackets i have had for 7+ years are the Prima and the Scala (now the ex-girlfriends) , does anyone remember them?

I have currently just got hold of a Cascada in Forest Green, the cuffs are different than on the old jackets (bit of a mess as well) but the hood is a lot better.
Yes -the lack of rustling is a major point in Paramo's favour - the material is ultra quiet and soft. I like the way that the waterproofing element cannot deteriorate in the way a membrane must eventually.

I think their kit is a delight in every way. I can't speak too highly of it.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back