• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How To Get Started? (2 Viewers)

lord_dethan

Greets friends,

I am a totally newbie in this birding and I can't seems to find a birder that can guide me here in Melaka.

I am kinda lost, nevertheless I am going to purchase a 500mm lens soon to fulfill my new hobby. I am going for Tamron 200-500mm lens. Will perform my purchase somewhere in the next couple of weeks. Nevertheless, without proper guidance, having lens & binocular can't forward me anywhere in this field.

I am hoping that you guys can help me if you know someone from Melaka that into birding even so that I may approach him/her for us to go birding together. Is there any club or group that I may join? What should be the basic things needed to become a birder? Any books or infos that I can have to get started? :h?: Well, I guess that I am lost ....

We do have quite a few members in Malaysia, but not sure how they are distance wise away from you. I have done a search in the gallery with "Malaysia" and here are the results
http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/search.php?searchid=76332

This might help to find other people that are birding from Malaysia, results for what equipment they use and locations and of course what birds you may see.

It might be worthwhile checking the Oriental Birdclub out.
http://www.orientalbirdclub.org/club/about.html

Hi there lord_dethan,
We are in Selangor - so not too far from Melaka really. We've only been in Malaysia for about a year but we've been to a few good birding places and met a couple of local birders.
One thing you can do is join the MNS (Malaysia Nature Society), I know they organise birding trips and also I think there is a birding group of sorts within the MNS. However I have no idea what it's like, we're MNS members but we've not been on any birding trips with them. Might be a good way to meet others in your area though.
Perhaps Jason Tan or Dr Manjeet Singh may know of another birder in Melaka they could put you in touch with - maybe you could PM them as if they are like me they may not check this link that often.
I have the tamron 200-500 lens - love it, enjoy your purchase!
As for guidebooks the best one we've found is the New Holland Field Guide to Birds of South-East Asia by Craig Robson.
Another suggestion is that you head up to Frasers Hill for a weekend, call in at the info centre, there is a man there who does guided birding around the FH area - and buy the FH bird guide it's worth it. Also FH is a popular birding spot so you'll no doubt see others there you can introduce yourself to.
Basically when you go birding be patient, shoot pics of whatever moves and if you can't id it from your guidebook - post on birdforum and others will help you out. You'll find you learn heaps from asking others on the forum.
Good luck - send us a message if you're in KL and we can maybe go birding somewhere.
Rachael & Andy

Hi Lord_dethan, I have never done birding in Melaka, but I'd suggest you to look for places with lake, swamp, wetland or forest, which are usually where birds hang out. You may want to wake up early to have higher chances of spotting more birds.
If you do not mind traveling north, Kuala Selangor Nature Park and Putrajaya Wetland are my favorite places for birding.

Btw, I do recognize you from Alphanatics.com ;)

Lord i have p.m. you Mr James tel-no...i think he is quite near you..call him his B.F..registered name jmoh..he sounds a nice man and may be he can point you to the places in Melak you want to go...if ever you think of coming to Klang let me know..i have also sent you my tel-no...call if you need any help.Regards.:t:

Hi there lord_dethan,
We are in Selangor - so not too far from Melaka really. We've only been in Malaysia for about a year but we've been to a few good birding places and met a couple of local birders.
One thing you can do is join the MNS (Malaysia Nature Society), I know they organise birding trips and also I think there is a birding group of sorts within the MNS. However I have no idea what it's like, we're MNS members but we've not been on any birding trips with them. Might be a good way to meet others in your area though.
Perhaps Jason Tan or Dr Manjeet Singh may know of another birder in Melaka they could put you in touch with - maybe you could PM them as if they are like me they may not check this link that often.
I have the tamron 200-500 lens - love it, enjoy your purchase!
As for guidebooks the best one we've found is the New Holland Field Guide to Birds of South-East Asia by Craig Robson.
Another suggestion is that you head up to Frasers Hill for a weekend, call in at the info centre, there is a man there who does guided birding around the FH area - and buy the FH bird guide it's worth it. Also FH is a popular birding spot so you'll no doubt see others there you can introduce yourself to.
Basically when you go birding be patient, shoot pics of whatever moves and if you can't id it from your guidebook - post on birdforum and others will help you out. You'll find you learn heaps from asking others on the forum.
Good luck - send us a message if you're in KL and we can maybe go birding somewhere.
Rachael & Andy

Thanks Rachael & Andy as for the guidance. Will PM you if I am in KL and I think I will be in KL from the 10th to 12th of this October. And will try to join the MNS soon. Take care.

We do have quite a few members in Malaysia, but not sure how they are distance wise away from you. I have done a search in the gallery with "Malaysia" and here are the results
http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/search.php?searchid=76332

This might help to find other people that are birding from Malaysia, results for what equipment they use and locations and of course what birds you may see.

It might be worthwhile checking the Oriental Birdclub out.
http://www.orientalbirdclub.org/club/about.html

Thanks marmot for your kind help. Appreciate it very much.

Lord i have p.m. you Mr James tel-no...i think he is quite near you..call him his B.F..registered name jmoh..he sounds a nice man and may be he can point you to the places in Melak you want to go...if ever you think of coming to Klang let me know..i have also sent you my tel-no...call if you need any help.Regards.:t:

Thanks Doc, you had given me many good tips on your p.m and looking forward to meet you. Thanks. I will be going to KL from 10th to 12th October and will purchase the Birds of SE Asia book at MPH Midvalley.

Thank you.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back