• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How is your 2012 List Going? (1 Viewer)

Not a true year bird, as I saw one earlier this year in Indiana, but today I found a Northern Shrike, a very rare bird in West Virginia. It was a state lifer and number 177 on my West Virginia year list.

Dave

American Black Duck, my second state lifer and year bird in two days, brings my West Virginia list up to 184 and state year list up to 178.

Dave

Finally saw the Greater Pewee (below) that's been hanging out in a local park.
236. Greater Pewee (lifer)

Added this and a Couch's Kingbird to my county list yesterday and then added a new bird to my yard list when 4 Eastern Bluebirds flew in this morning.

Jeff

Attachments

• DSC04552.JPG
    DSC04552.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Starting to get excellent bird fall-out from Hurricane Sandy. Although West Virginia is relatively far inland, we're expected to get several inches of rain, which could cause flooding, and wind gusts of over 50 mph. The mountains not far from here can get up to three feet of snow.

At a local lake this morning I saw about 3,700 water birds, including loons, grebes, ducks, geese, and coots. Per eBird, many of the species counts were record highs for the lake, and several were rare birds for the area as well.

Two of the species, Surf Scoter and Northern Pintail, were state lifers (numbers 185 and 186, respectively) and new birds for my state year list (numbers 179 and 180, respectively).

Dave

Desert Wheatear today at Abberton
poor thing has found a pile of sand on a construction site and thinks it the Sahara.

271 for 2012

380. Bohemian Waxwing

A flock flew overhead yesterday in Uppsala. Missed the Pine Grosbeak that's been hanging around though...

I have been trying for that bird for years! At times I thought I was getting close, but no success yet. If I do get one some day, I am sure the world will know about it! ;)

I've only seen Waxwings a few times before in the UK so it's still a bit of a novelty to be seeing them every day this week in Sweden!

Not put my year list on here this time around with lots of spending on the house and no holidays outside Europe I wasn't expecting much and my UK list this year is pretty woeful.

Focused on picking off some useful species in Iceland and the Spanish pyrenees and thus far my list is at 266.

Back online today after having lost power for 5 1/2 days due to an ice storm and then ten inches of heavy, wet snow caused by Hurricane Sandy. (Nice to finally have been able to take a shower as well!). I haven't been able to get out birding, but I have been watching my feeder. Today I had Pine Siskins, a new bird for my West Virginia year list (number 181), as well as my West Virginia life list (number 187).

Dave

Went to the Houston ship channel yesterday to add to my county list and got a new bird for my USA year list:
328. Long-billed Dowitcher

Jeff

Found a new bird for the year this morning in a grassy area next to a nearby pond. My Year List is now up to 221.

221. Short-eared Owl

This was also a state lifer, my sixth in just over a week. Some of them, including the owl, are rare around here and may have been blown in by the hurricane last week.

Dave

382. Pine Grosbeak (Lifer)

They elude me no more! just dashed across Uppsala in my lunch break, got there just in time as a minute later they flew off into the woods!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back