• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How I filled my yard with birds (1 Viewer)

A lot of people ask me why I got into Purple Martins and I am sure many people have the same dilemma.
My 1 1/2 acre lot was devoid of life. 3 pine trees clustered by our driveway and a 25,000 landscapers estimate to bring our yard to "life".

Well, my hubby and I spent quite a few bucks planting about a dozen trees on our yard. Several thousands of dollars later we knew that it was just a drop in the bucket but I could not stand the silence in my yard.

My solution? A purple martin house. Yes, I know that y'all on the other side of the pond laugh at us purple martin folks and our obsession with these birds. But alas, there is life in my yard that all the feeders in the world could not coax its equivalent.

See my martins on my live streaming webcam (http://purplemartins-r-us.com/live-birdcam-t-19.html)

We are contemplating adding a Purple Martin House but I am nervous because of all the maintenance I have heard there is - how often do you clean your, and have any sparrows or starlings tried to take over yet? If so, how did you stop them?

We recently moved from a small lot on a creek full of trees with lots of birds to a new almost 2 acre spot with no trees. We've planted half a dozen, but that's such a small start. So far our only birds are meadowlarks, doves, sparrows and a mockingbird. We have feeders out, but no bird houses yet. We were also considering putting up a purple martin house. Do they co-exist well with other birds?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back