• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How do you hold your binoculars? (1 Viewer)

Tut tut Beverley

Colin J - mobile phone in one hand, bins in the other ? Not in a hide I trust!!

That's moderators for you........

I hold my bins in the usual way- thumbs underneath fingers on top.
For more stability I sit on the ground and brace elbows and knees together.
'Course it 's more fun if you use somebody else's knees.-OOOh eeer missus...

If I don't use finnstick, I hold the binos the same way as Leif.

I was really surprised not to find a single hit with the word 'finnstick' (on this forum), which is the *other* finnish invention...

A brief description from http://faqs.jmas.co.jp/FAQs/birds-faq/optics:

"Finnsticks

A finnstick is literally a stick, usually with a fork at one end, which you
use to hold your binoculars at eye-level, allowing you to keep your arms
down. Consequently, you keep your view steadier for longer periods.
Finnsticks are useful in any endurance situation: hawk watching, sea
watching, and pelagic trips.

These sticks originated in Finland where they are called staijikeppi
(pronounced: stah-yeeh kep-peeh). Most finnsticks are homemade (because they
apparently have a proclivity for getting lost) from branches 1.5-2 inches
(4-6cm) in diameter, 2-3 feet (60-100cm) in length, with a natural fork in
one end. This fork, with perhaps a little carving, fits under the center
barrel of the binoculars."

Tip: Broken hockey sticks can be easily recycled as finnsticks.

Ilkka

iporali said:
If I don't use finnstick, I hold the binos the same way as Leif.

I was really surprised not to find a single hit with the word 'finnstick' (on this forum), which is the *other* finnish invention...
It's wierd the loyalty to the finnstick. I guess they are called finnsticks because only the Finns use them.

I find that, for prolonged viewing, just tucking my elbows in to my sides is all that's needed. What causes tiredness is the holding your arms out from your body.

First I've heard of a finnstick, Illka. Sounds like a good idea, except for having to carry it around all day. Now, if I were on crutches anyway...

Hi Ilkka

iporali said:

Sorry, but . . .

"The page cannot be found
The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please try the following:
If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.
Open the faqs.jmas.co.jp home page, and then look for links to the information you want.
Click the Back button to try another link.
Click Search to look for information on the Internet.

HTTP 404 - File not found
Internet Explorer "

Hi Michael

Sorry - just remove the punctuation mark (colon) from the end...

Charles:
Yes, it is one more thing to carry around and it is of no use in places where you have to move and focus the binos rapidly.

But feel free to try - I think it is useful when you are watching for longer periods. It allows you to keep your whole arms against the body.

Ilkka

It looks like how to hold 'em is far from obvious though the simple wrap
your hands round them seems to be the most popular.

Here are two more
novel techniques

Michael Frankis: Here's a link to a drawing showing how I hold bins. Sadly I'm no artist!

Click here for a work of art.

The key is to rest the elbows against the chest to avoid fatigue and use the finger tips to stabilise the binocular objectives. I also press the eye tubes against my face (not shown in drawing).

Last edited:
Fingers on top, thumbs beneath, and if possible sit down and rest elbows onto bent knees to steady bins even more. (no I'm not drwaing any diagrams)

I cheated,I just copied Bill Oddie,left hand grapsed around the left barrel,and right fingers propping up rt barrel,looks realt proffessional!!
Christine.

Maybe something to be learned from competiton shooters here. Depends on one's anatomy I think, but elbows in, tight against the body (belly, in my case), and thumbs against the nose. Works in my case.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back