• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Holywells Park, Ipswich, Suffolk (2 Viewers)

birderbill

Hi, I've just moved back to Suffolk and now live near Holywells park in Ipswich.

Does anyone bird this place?

Saw a bulleting advertising a dawn chorus visit by Suffolk
Ornithology Group so someone must visit it. Any details of the park and it's birds would be very welcome.

Saw Mandarin today on the"Canal" along with Sparrowhawk and G S Woodpecker, not bad for starters.

Welcome to birdforum Bill. I live not far from Stowmarket, and do most of my birding locally. Cant say I have been to Holywells park, I know of it. Perhaps someone else can help out there?
Wherabouts on the canal did you see your mandarin? Im familiar with most of Ipswich.
Can I recommend this site : http://www.freewebs.com/suffolkbirding/index.htm
good resource for local birders.
Jim

Thanks for your reply.

The Mandarin was on the canal pond. This is accessed by following the footpath from the bottom of Cliff Lane and Landseer Road. The pond itself is surrounded by trees and well sheltered. The bird was at the rear of the pond amongst the resident Mallards.
I understand from talking to a knowledgeable local dog walker that Kingfisher is present here and lesser spotted woodpecker has also been seen in the past!

ok cheers might give it a look. popped to Levington creek this morning- Curlew,Knot,Dunlin,Golden Plover, Brents and Redshank but nothing really exciting. Awful visibilty.Hen Harrier is sometimes seen. Another birder told me 2 bean geese were present on trimley trout lake.
Jim.

birderbill said:
Hi, I've just moved back to Suffolk and now live near Holywells park in Ipswich.

Ornithology Group so someone must visit it. Any details of the park and it's birds would be very welcome.

Saw Mandarin today on the"Canal" along with Sparrowhawk and G S Woodpecker, not bad for starters.

Mandarin is an occasional visitor to Holywells - they breed at Christchurch Park. Kingfisher is another occasional winter visitor as is grey wagtail. Great spotted and green woodpecker are common. If you're interested in butterflies both white admiral - one only - and white-letter hairstreak were seen this year. A pleasant enough place but there are far better birding spots within a few miles of Ipswich.

Steve

Steve,

Thanks for your comments.

I'm interested in the park as a local patch as it's 5 mins from my house and will keep both myself and the dog entertained in the mornings. I may even extend my patch to include Ipswich wet dock which I used to watch regularly some 15 years ago when I worked in Ipswich- always best after a period of cold weather though.

If domestics allow I am going to try and spend more time at Levington, again one of my old haunts!

Are you aware of anyone that bird watches the park as I would be interested in sharing observations and records?

Bill.

You haven't just bought my old house have you?

Don't know anyone who watches the park, I used to keep an eye out when there with my kids or going for a run.

The docks have gone down hill due to increased number of boats. I'll probably bump into you at Levington I do Loompit Lake a lot and less regularly the creek.

Steve

birderbill said:
Steve,

Thanks for your comments.

I'm interested in the park as a local patch as it's 5 mins from my house and will keep both myself and the dog entertained in the mornings. I may even extend my patch to include Ipswich wet dock which I used to watch regularly some 15 years ago when I worked in Ipswich- always best after a period of cold weather though.

If domestics allow I am going to try and spend more time at Levington, again one of my old haunts!

Are you aware of anyone that bird watches the park as I would be interested in sharing observations and records?

Bill.

Hi birderbill, welcome to Birdforum.

I will be leading the dawn chorus in April. It is a joint meeting between the Friends of Holywells Park and the SOG.

I live close to the park but only tend to visit occasionally - I work outside the town. It was covered more in the mid to late 80's and a lot of stuff turned up on passage so it would be good to have a regular watch. The local wildlife recorder Rob regularly visits and keeps a record of all the wildlife to be found on the park - in recent years he has found Wasp Spider, Conehead and Roesells Crickets and Golden Hoverfly. Not too long ago a Bittern turned up down by the canal.

Steve detailed some of the birds and butterflies to be found - the Mandarin bred last year and on the dawn chorus last year we had a family of Treecreepers and a pair of Kingfishers on Pond 6 (the pond with the canal) among other birds. There were a nice flock of Siskin in the Alders last winter but none so far this winter.

Unfortunately there have been no sightings of LS Woodpecker for a few years and Nightingale has not been seen or heard for the last three years.

As Steve has mentioned the docks are not as good as they used to be but it has held two Shags this winter and last winter a Shag with a GN Diver along the New Cut West.

Gi

birderbill said:

Gi,

Thank you for your message.

I rejoined SOG the end of last year and am hoping to come along to some of the outdoor meetings and am interested in the Holywells dawn meet. Hopefully I will be able to come along with some up to date news for the group!

I work in London and so I won't be able to get to the park everyday. If I can walk around a couple of mornings a week, especially in the spring then I could learn a bit more about the sight and may be able to add some interesting sightings for the recorders.

Hopefully I'll be able to bump into Rob and share some observations.

Bill

Gi

Do you know where about the wasp spider was and if it was one or a few?

Steve

gi2012 said:
Hi birderbill, welcome to Birdforum.

I will be leading the dawn chorus in April. It is a joint meeting between the Friends of Holywells Park and the SOG.

I live close to the park but only tend to visit occasionally - I work outside the town. It was covered more in the mid to late 80's and a lot of stuff turned up on passage so it would be good to have a regular watch. The local wildlife recorder Rob regularly visits and keeps a record of all the wildlife to be found on the park - in recent years he has found Wasp Spider, Conehead and Roesells Crickets and Golden Hoverfly. Not too long ago a Bittern turned up down by the canal.

Steve detailed some of the birds and butterflies to be found - the Mandarin bred last year and on the dawn chorus last year we had a family of Treecreepers and a pair of Kingfishers on Pond 6 (the pond with the canal) among other birds. There were a nice flock of Siskin in the Alders last winter but none so far this winter.

Unfortunately there have been no sightings of LS Woodpecker for a few years and Nightingale has not been seen or heard for the last three years.

As Steve has mentioned the docks are not as good as they used to be but it has held two Shags this winter and last winter a Shag with a GN Diver along the New Cut West.

Gi

Hi Steve,

There were at least three in 2005 and 1 or 2 last year. They were in one of the flower meadows - if you go past the 'bat tree' (the Oak which is cordoned off) and along the pathway through the meadow down to the kissing gate to the canal, they were to be found on the area to the left.

Gi

Steve Babbs said:
Gi

Do you know where about the wasp spider was and if it was one or a few?

Steve

Had a Little Egret in the park this week. It was feeding on the new diggings around the pond excavations before flying away towards the Cliff Quay area. Also had a pair of Sparrowhawks displaying over the south part and over Landseer Rd/ Cliff lane.

Little Egret is a good bird for the site. A Grey Heron often sits in the dead tree above pond 1. Yesterday in the park I had my first Blackcaps of the year with 3 singing and a male Sparrowhawk circling high above the park. The park rangers say the see the Sparrowhawk almost daily. I saw Rob yesterday and he said there were a pair of Grey Wagtails on the pond excavations on Friday as well as several Brimstones around the park.

Gi

Hi Gi,

Thanks for updating the post, just got back from the Lake District so haven't been able to respond before now.

I'm watching the park 2-3 times a week now, normally early morning at the weekend and slowly building my records up. I was thinking of emailing my sightings to the "Friends of Holywells Park" as a item for interest as well as sending them into the local recorder. If you fancy meeting up for any early morning walk then let me know. Haven't met the Rangers yet, hopefully I will make contact soon.

I've not seen Grey Wagtail yet but will keep a close eye out.

This morning was quiet but the pair of Mandarins were on pond 6 (canal), and up to 5 Blackcaps and 6 Chiffchaff around the park. A Willow Warbler was singing around pond area 1/2 (the overgrown area by the fence) and a Swallow was over the play area.

I watched a pair of Jackdaws trying to get into a nest box which Blue Tits were flying into, hopefully the tits will be too quick and the Jackdaws will get bored!

Saw two Song Thrush with mouth fulls of food heading into cover. Fingers crossed that they have young that are doing well.

Quite curious about the Bowling Green, watched a pair of Pied Wagtails feeding on there and a very bold Blackcap that was feeding in the hedge and then dropping out on to the grass to take insects. Can I be reckless and think Spotted Flycatcher or even Pied Flycatcher in the future! Certainly looks good for something....

Hi Bill,

I may try an early weekend morning, I'll let you know - I'm going on the SOG trip to Shingle Street this Sat. Will probably do an evening walk next week before the dawn chorus the weekend after just to check the site and route.

Not sure who looks after the email, hopefully it will be passed on to Rob although I'm not to sure what sort of records he keeps.

Glad the Mandarins are about - I've yet to see them there this year.

As for flycatchers they haven't been seen in the park for a while - I think Spotted used to breed and Pied has been seen on migration - I'll have to look it up in a booklet that was published in the late 80's when the park was regularly birded. I was talking to someone about it last week and what a good idea it would be to update it.

Gi

Hi Bill,

It went well, we had quite a few people turn up and a nice selection of typical town/garden birds singing away including a very vocal Song Thrush near the Stable Block. A few Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs and a good sighting of a Fox for most. Unfortunately no Nightingales and a bit early in the day for Whitethroat or Lesser Whitethroat although I've yet to hear these in the park this year.

Gi

Gi,

Thanks for the Dawn Chorus update.

I had a single Common Whitethroat on the Thursday prior to the weekend but no sign on the Saturday morning Also had a Sedge Warbler. Both appeared in the scrub next to the edge of the allotments and the canal path, neither were singing! Otherwise, apart from a few hirundines and despite a lot of lurking nothing else to report.

Bill.

Gi

Never knew about the website, some nice insect pictures on there.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

Some of the photos are with my old OM10 then scanned, others with the works digital and more recently with my own and just a bit of patience with with the butterflies!

They were great dancing adder photos you posted on Suffolk NH.

Gi

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back