• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hilton Pits (1 Viewer)

graham bowers

The Derbyshire OS describes Hilton Pits as a good site for beginners.
As a beginner myself, I wondered what is it about HP (or any other site) that makes it suitable for beginners please? And does the converse apply, in so far as there are sites not suitable for beginners - and why?
Thanks
Graham

I'm not sure, but at a guess a site 'good for beginners' would be one that provided good views, where the birds can be seen in the open. If it is a lake or other wetland site, one not too big so that the birds aren't going to be tiny dots in the far distance, that sort of thing.

Perhaps also one with hides, information boards, or other aids to comfort and identification.

But as I say, I'm not really clear what it means, precisely.

That makes sense, thanks.
Graham

I'm not sure, but at a guess a site 'good for beginners' would be one that provided good views, where the birds can be seen in the open. If it is a lake or other wetland site, one not too big so that the birds aren't going to be tiny dots in the far distance, that sort of thing.

Perhaps also one with hides, information boards, or other aids to comfort and identification.

But as I say, I'm not really clear what it means, precisely.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back