• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

High end Canon video cameras (1 Viewer)

benji

Hi
Does anyone have any news / comments or views on the Canon DM XL1S or the upcoming XL2 (which iss coming out in Oct 04).

What lenses can you fit onto these units, how is the sound quality, how is the still photo quality?

Thanks

Hi Benji,
I have an XL1s which I bought second hand. When using the "optional" (i.e have to buy separately!) EOS adapter the camera can mount EOS lenses & due to the size of the CCD yields a lens magnification factor of x7.2 thus a 500m lens will give a magnification of x72. This yields good quality video images when used with a quality tripod/head. Sound quality is not great but various 3rd party microphones can be easily used with this system as can a parabolic reflector + microphone.
Many of the currently available birding videos/DVDs were shot using this camera including Paul Doherty's excellent videos (the earlier ones at least)-usually narrated by Bill Oddie, & Malcolm Rymer's series of birding travel videos. Essentially with some skill, expertise & practice the quality can be amazing.
I don't use my camera too often or to its full potential however it can prove very useful. Recently I have used it to take video of a pair of Black-throated Divers which are breeding on a Loch in central Scotland (just south of Highland region). The camera combined with a 500mm lens(zoom) allows me to record video from a nearby wood avoiding any contact or need for close approach to the birds thus there is absolutely no disturbance to the birds(they never see me) & no risk of falling foul of the law with respect to Schedule 1 birds. Sound quality at that distance is however poor except on still windless days.
Cheers,
Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back