• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Herring Gull? Northern CA (Petaluma) this week (1 Viewer)

MelospizaMelodiaFan

I photograph birds
United States
Herring gull.jpg
Herring gull is the best I can come up with based on the large body, non-bulbous beak, yellow feet, light eyes, and black wingtips.
Can someone confirm or offer an alternative?
Thank you!

Looks ok to me, but let us hope someone with more knowledge of these birds will offer an opinion. The smudgy dark head ( along with the bill shape) eliminates Western Gull.

Primary pattern looks perfect for western type smithsonianus, being black rather than dark gray (which would make it a 'Cook-Inlet-Gull'), with a solid p5 mark and a small p10 mirror. But I wondered about the rather plain head markings (rather than streaky) as a possible indication of Glaucous-winged involvement. All in all this basically is an American Herring Gull, maybe with small amounts of GLWG ancestry but I wouldn't hesitate to put it as Herring Gull on ebird etc.

Primary pattern looks perfect for western type smithsonianus, being black rather than dark gray (which would make it a 'Cook-Inlet-Gull'), with a solid p5 mark and a small p10 mirror. But I wondered about the rather plain head markings (rather than streaky) as a possible indication of Glaucous-winged involvement. All in all this basically is an American Herring Gull, maybe with small amounts of GLWG ancestry but I wouldn't hesitate to put it as Herring Gull on ebird etc.
You explained it better than I could. There was just something off about this bird that made me hesitant to confidently ID it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back