• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Herring/Caspian gull id (1 Viewer)

Bubo Fett

Hade this bird yesterday in Sweden. I probably think herring but i cant get the cach possibility out of my head. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 20220117_153316.jpg
    20220117_153316.jpg
    445.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 20220117_153214.jpg
    20220117_153214.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 70
  • 20220117_153241.jpg
    20220117_153241.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 20220117_153213.jpg
    20220117_153213.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 69
Hello,
I see what you mean: when scanning a flock of (Herring-) Gulls, this bird would surely attract attention. And the reasons for this are features of Caspian Gull:
small head, position of the small (?) eye, shape of the bill and full, nearly bulging rest (you can imagine a hunched giraffe-neck) gives this bird the right jizz.

Ageing is difficult for me, its either a 1 cycle or better a 2 cycle(=3 cy) bird. Many (appearant) 1 cycle Caspian Gulls here in NE-Germany have more dark-centered feathers in the upperparts and more extensive blackish bill.
More, can I detect different generation tertials? One with a blackish center and the others with a paler, diluted pattern?
Difficult, but any remarks to picture quality would be pure excuse with my level of experience.

Yes, I think it looks good for a 2cycle (=3 cy) Caspian Gull, but like you, I hope as always for Lou, Steve Clifton, smiths and others to confirm or correct (ein Träumchen)

Edit: yes head seems whitish, with not enough streaking for an ID-book Herring Gull. But I think picture quality enhances this and diminishes a slight darkish wash around the eye and at the neck. I think such a head is within variation for Caspian and Herring Gull. Or am I diluted by the fact, that I am surrounded by the large Mix-flocks iin NE-Germany?

Last edited:
Thanks for the complement Alex, though I don't personally hold myself in the same esteem as Lou or Smiths.
Sure you can pick at birds like this (legs on the short side for example) but I agree with your assessment-it passes my test as a 3cy Caspian Gull👍

FWIW I think the apparent markings around the face and neck are more to do with photo artefacts than anything else.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back