• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help!! (1 Viewer)

kyearwood

Hello, I am new to bird watching and have been having trouble id'ing this little chap. It is a frequent visitor to the heath land surrounding my N Hampshire home. It's about the size of a robin, with plain brown feathers and a white half collar. Under the collar its breast is light orange which gradually gets paler down the front of its body.

Its legs are black as is its bill which is short to medium in length. Its tail feathers are also short to medium. It's perches on long grass often swooping down to the ground hopping about a looking for food and then flies back to its perch at the top the long grass.

Today (3rd Feb 08) is cold windy on the heath so they were very hard to find and even harder to photograph however I did get a few quick shots off.

Any help you can give would be great I have looked for it in three of my bird guilds and the nearest I could find is a Fuerteventura Stonechat (page 273 in the Collins Bird Guide) but I am sure its not one of these.

Attachments

• IMG_2997.jpg
    IMG_2997.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
A Chapess then rather than a Chap. I glad I join the forum this lady whilst far from the most interesting bird I have spotted, has had me stumped for three weeks now! I see from my guide the male is far more distinctive. Thanks again for you very fast response to my posting. Ken

Hi Kyearwood, and welcome to BirdForum. Nice photo in those conditions, and i 2nd what Ian says, female Stonechat.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back